DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Throttle body mod question! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=73716)

toddrod 02-07-2011 10:42 PM

Throttle body mod question!

Hey all, I've been paying attention to this thread with particular interest. I'm sold on this mod and its effectiveness but I have one question for you all who have done this. How has this mod affected MPG? I know we drive trucks (and my 5.9 was not built with fuel economy in mind) and my wife does her share of complaining about the poor mileage. If I do this mod will I gain or lose MPG?

98redbull2 02-08-2011 09:06 AM

toddrod when i got my truck it was getting about 14 mpg average, idk exact numbers but i did the mod and put an open face air cleaner on top of that and i started to average 16 mpg mixed driving, i went to the junkyard and got a tb of a 97 ram with the 5.9. i think this mod does really help along with the improved throttle response and better low and top end torque. :smiley_thumbs_up:

toddrod 02-08-2011 11:18 PM

Cool, thanks for responding. I've got an air intake and a free flow exhaust on it already and I'm pretty stoked to mod the TB. I'll probably get a used one from the wreckers so I can take my time and still use my truck in the meantime. I'll keep you posted on the progress and show some pics.

newblue10 02-09-2011 01:46 AM

i have only had mine in for two months or so but i slightly dropped in mpg with a stage 2 c.a.i. i think its just to much cold air at this time in northern alberta.

98redbull2 02-09-2011 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newblue10 (Post 437889)
i have only had mine in for two months or so but i slightly dropped in mpg with a stage 2 c.a.i. i think its just to much cold air at this time in northern alberta.

yea i noticed this but i may be wrong lol when it was a little warmer about 30 degrees out my truck was getting better gas mileage than what it is now when its 13 below lol. it was a couple mpg less than usual but it might be somethin else im not sure i dont have a cold air intake but i have an open face air cleaner.

toddrod 02-09-2011 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newblue10 (Post 437889)

Yeah I've been getting some lousy mileage too. I've got an intake as well and I'm blaming the cold weather. I think your right about too much cold.

newblue10 02-09-2011 11:26 PM

Guess I will find out once it starts to warm up if it is or no. Good thing it's not that permanent of a part and u can take it out in 10 minutes

984wdram 02-18-2011 04:34 AM

it took me about 4 hours to get my tb mod done with continuous work, with a couple of smoke breaks too. i used about 8 dremel cutting wheels, a few files, various grit sandpaper, and mothers aluminum polish. took time, but i got it done and also tuned the tps. big diference. loved it. reccomend it.

98redbull2 02-18-2011 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 984wdram (Post 447454)
it took me about 4 hours to get my tb mod done with continuous work, with a couple of smoke breaks too. i used about 8 dremel cutting wheels, a few files, various grit sandpaper, and mothers aluminum polish. took time, but i got it done and also tuned the tps. big diference. loved it. reccomend it.

what do you mean by tuning the tps? ive never heard of that lol

THasse 02-18-2011 01:59 PM

Idk bout the TB mod. but the reason I've been told we get shitty gas mileage in the winter is because the air is much denser, so more air packs into the cylinder under the same pressure. More O2 means more fuel in it to keep the same A/F mixture. Not totally sure why we don't see heavy hp gains in the winter though due to this...