DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   I know you're gona think I'm crazy but... (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=73827)

wedgeheaded 02-08-2011 08:53 PM

I know you're gona think I'm crazy but...

Just to satisfy my own curosity, I filled up with 89 the last 2 tanks. With 87 the best I could get was just a tad over 15MPG. Last fill up using the 89 I got almost 16. My trip computer has shown as much as 16.8 while driving. I had been wondering what effect the ethanol, that they put into the gas during winter, has on it's octane rating. I tried it just for giggles and was pleasantly surprised. I know ethanol has a lower flash point and would bring the FP of the gas down with it. It might be such that my truck just likes the 89 better too. I know octane has more to do with CR than anything else. Anybody have any insights or thoughts?

HerRam 02-09-2011 12:45 PM

That's awesome!! with the higher cost of the 89 and the better gas milesage offset finally so you will actually be saving money??? or is it still going to be about the same???

erm 02-09-2011 12:56 PM

Ethanol has a tendency to reduce the amount of combustibles so basically what you have is a gallon of fuel that won't get you as far as a gallon of non-winter blend fuel will.

My truck would not run on 87. It pinged, got really poor mileage, didn't like it at all. 89 was better but the truck didn't seem to be liking that octane rating either. So I burn premium and the truck runs great! I get my best mileage with 92 octane.

foxcrazy90 02-09-2011 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wedgeheaded (Post 437451)
Just to satisfy my own curosity, I filled up with 89 the last 2 tanks. With 87 the best I could get was just a tad over 15MPG. Last fill up using the 89 I got almost 16. My trip computer has shown as much as 16.8 while driving. I had been wondering what effect the ethanol, that they put into the gas during winter, has on it's octane rating. I tried it just for giggles and was pleasantly surprised. I know ethanol has a lower flash point and would bring the FP of the gas down with it. It might be such that my truck just likes the 89 better too. I know octane has more to do with CR than anything else. Anybody have any insights or thoughts?

isnt a tad over 15mpg and almost 16 mpg pretty much the same!!!:LOL:

bigred0603 02-09-2011 10:56 PM

wonder if it is the gas octane or the way you drove it with the differant fuels just saying

wedgeheaded 02-10-2011 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxcrazy90 (Post 438563)
isnt a tad over 15mpg and almost 16 mpg pretty much the same!!!:LOL:

A tad over 15 is like 15.12 and almost 16 is like 15.87. It's not a huge difference but it made me wonder.

wedgeheaded 02-10-2011 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigred0603 (Post 438914)
wonder if it is the gas octane or the way you drove it with the differant fuels just saying

My son had borrowed the truck to do some yard work for a lady so I expected my MPGs to be bad. He doesn't try to drive easy at all. I drove the same as I always do. I plan to run a couple more tank fulls through then maybe try 92 to see what happens.

wedgeheaded 02-10-2011 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HerRam (Post 438179)
That's awesome!! with the higher cost of the 89 and the better gas milesage offset finally so you will actually be saving money??? or is it still going to be about the same???

At 1MPG difference it's a slight savings, nothing to get too excited about. Still, it makes me wonder. I like to find that sweet spot in my vehicles where power, performance, and economy are at optimum.

moparmanicac 02-10-2011 08:55 AM

I only run 89 just to show the truck some love and I'm used to having to put 89 in b/c of the programmer I do see slightly better mpgs w/ 89 programmer or not