DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Info for the cummins guys/gals (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=73947)

sprintertech 02-09-2011 08:06 PM

Info for the cummins guys/gals

Dodge announced today that they will be releasing the HO version of the 6.7 making 800lb-ft of competition killing torque......and the tow capacity will also go up to 22,700lbs......which easily eclipses the comp i think.....

CdnoilRAM 02-09-2011 09:44 PM

:woohoo: :woohoo:

Stangshcky12 02-09-2011 09:50 PM

had to match fords 6.7

SnowChief 02-09-2011 09:56 PM

Thanks for the information regarding the upcoming Cummins capablities.

You are right that 22k maximum towing, at this time, would be greater than anything GM or Ford offers in their 2011 3500 and F350, respectively. If memory serves me right, GM and Ford max out 5th wheel towing both at around 21k lbs. I believe Ram is now at about 17.5k lbs. I do not recall what each truck has for conventional towing. Nice to know in any event that Dodge sees the need to keep-up since trailers and campers, for example, are starting to weigh more than in previous years given medium duty trucks have higher capablities now.

sprintertech 02-09-2011 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnowChief (Post 438912)
Thanks for the information regarding the upcoming Cummins capablities.

You are right that 22k maximum towing, at this time, would be greater than anything GM or Ford offers in their 2011 3500 and F350, respectively. If memory serves me right, GM and Ford max out 5th wheel towing both at around 21k lbs. I believe Ram is now at about 17.5k lbs. I do not recall what each truck has for conventional towing. Nice to know in any event that Dodge sees the need to keep-up since trailers and campers, for example, are starting to weigh more than in previous years given medium duty trucks have higher capablities now.

all ratings for towing are standardized now.....the interesting thing is rams towing capacity all around went up without any changes......

and fords torque output is estimated.....

rsg1963 03-10-2011 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprintertech (Post 438771)
Dodge announced today that they will be releasing the HO version of the 6.7 making 800lb-ft of competition killing torque......and the tow capacity will also go up to 22,700lbs......which easily eclipses the comp i think.....

Now if they would just mate these Cummins beauties to an Allison 6 or 7 spd auto tranny. Oh baby. FTW!!! My tranny has always been the weakest link in my nearly perfect truck. I even went and looked at Chevy because of their trannies. But 15 minutes later me and my wife were like..."um....nokay". Sticking with Dodge, but a better tranny (have I mentioned that yet?)

sprintertech 03-10-2011 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsg1963 (Post 467288)
Now if they would just mate these Cummins beauties to an Allison 6 or 7 spd auto tranny. Oh baby. FTW!!! My tranny has always been the weakest link in my nearly perfect truck. I even went and looked at Chevy because of their trannies. But 15 minutes later me and my wife were like..."um....nokay". Sticking with Dodge, but a better tranny (have I mentioned that yet?)

well the good news for you is that trans concerns are almost non-existent for a couple years now and just for the record.......that allison in the chevy's is no match for the Aisin trans in the cab and chassis trucks......

rsg1963 03-10-2011 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprintertech (Post 467422)
well the good news for you is that trans concerns are almost non-existent for a couple years now and just for the record.......that allison in the chevy's is no match for the Aisin trans in the cab and chassis trucks......

Good to know about the newer trannies sprintertech. If the Cab and Chassis trannies are better than the Alison, then why are they not making them avail on all HD Diesel models? That does not seem like smart marketing. (Maybe a mileage/emissions thing?) The Alison is avail on ANY Diesel Chevy offers. Grumble...

Side thought: I am surprised Aisin makes a good HD auto or manual tranny at all. They made junk ones for Jeeps for years, and that's all I've ever associated them with. I suppose I have to give them another shot (if they ever make it into regular Diesels Rams)

sprintertech 03-10-2011 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsg1963 (Post 467477)
Good to know about the newer trannies sprintertech. If the Cab and Chassis trannies are better than the Alison, then why are they not making them avail on all HD Diesel models? That does not seem like smart marketing. (Maybe a mileage/emissions thing?) The Alison is avail on ANY Diesel Chevy offers. Grumble...

Side thought: I am surprised Aisin makes a good HD auto or manual tranny at all. They made junk ones for Jeeps for years, and that's all I've ever associated them with. I suppose I have to give them another shot (if they ever make it into regular Diesels Rams)

different company....that was Aisin Warner......same Aisin but Aisin is now its own entity and produces more transmissions than all of GM combined.......

as for why its not in the 2500/3500 pick ups....it would be overkill in those.....the current 68RFE in the 2500/3500's is pretty bullet proof....