DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Cold air intake (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=73952)

Gossage55 02-09-2011 08:39 PM

Cold air intake

I put in a Spectre 9931 Cold Air Intake in my truck. It has a heat shield box that surrounds the cone filter so it can get more cold air in from the fender and not get warmer air from the engine. I was told I should remove the heat shield box because it will actually be getting more colder air. It was designed to isolate the filter so it gets cold air so I figured removing it would defeat the purpose. Any thoughts?

Toms Blue Ram 1500 02-09-2011 10:09 PM

I still have my shield around my K&N . Personally , I'd leave it on .

toddrod 02-09-2011 10:10 PM

Keep the heat shield on it! I made my own intake which doesn't have a heat shield, and it gets pretty warm in that engine bay. Besides the shield serves a dual purpose as it helps funnel cooler air and it will to some extent protect your air filter from contaminants that could go into your engine bay from underneath. If you do any off-roading and playing in the mud it will protect the filter from being badly clogged and reduce the amount of time spent cleaning that filter.

Gossage55 02-09-2011 10:16 PM

I kinda figured there was a reason they manufactured it the way they did...lol...I'll just leave it in place then. I dont do any off roading but it has stayed really clean thanks to the heat shield. I just wanted to improve performance and fuel mileage-after all, that's the reason I got it in the first place....Thanks for the replies guys!

MBCJim 02-21-2011 07:00 PM

I also recently installed the spectre kit and have a question for you about your install. How did you handle the breather hose not reaching the far side of the block?

Gossage55 02-21-2011 09:24 PM

That seems to be a problem with the Spectre cold air intake. I'm not sure why they even included that short hose in the box. I ended up going to Lowes and purchasing a longer hose that was (I believe 3/8 inch inside diameter) in order to connect it. It only costs a couple bucks, if that. Overall, I am really happy with the intake though.

MBCJim 02-22-2011 06:16 AM

I did basically the same, Napa was closer for me. I routed mine behind the plenum, where did you route yours?

Gossage55 02-22-2011 10:48 AM

I believe I did the same thing. I purchased 2 or 3 feet and it was exactly enough to make it fit because I didn't measure before I bought it but I made it work.

MBCJim 02-22-2011 05:12 PM

Yeah spectre finally emailed me back today...apparently their tech department doesn't work Friday through Sunday or holidays. The gentleman offered to send me a 32" hose but I declined.

frealz13 03-18-2011 09:40 PM

hose

the hose goes to the breather not the pcv valve the hose should fit and i would leave the box the intake tube mounts to it.when that plastic piece that attaches to the throttle body gets hot in the summer it might wind up warping or pulling off the tb.