DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=213)
-   -   How much $$ did it set you back to lift your truck? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=73981)

NickDangerXJ 02-10-2011 02:06 AM

How much $$ did it set you back to lift your truck?

Soooo on the fence about what I want to do with my truck. I'd like to beef it up with something in the next few months, but I don't want to buy new wheels and 33s and then still have the bug for bigger tires and lift.

At the same time, I don't know if I want to put myself in MORE debt since there is no way I could pay straight up for tires/wheels and lift.

From what I can figure, seems like $4k would be a general cost of a lift + labor plus tires (35 or 37 mts) and wheels (20"), is that a decent ballpark estimate, or am I over or under?

Am I better off taking it to a smaller 4x4 shop, or a chain type place like 4 Wheel Parts? Lastly, do the 4x4 shops have a pretty large mark up? Would I be better off buying a kit and shocks myself and just paying them the labor or does it all end up relativelly the same?

I know thats a lot of questions, but any help would be awesome, thanks guys.

337ram 02-10-2011 07:14 AM

My bro in law works for a 4x4 shop . the mark is double , if they charge you 3k there cost is 1500. Go with a 6" lift you wont regret it . Also a cheaper option is installing the lift yourself , the procomp is easy. 2nd you could install lift now and go with 35s on your stockers with a 1/2" spacer , would save you alot of $$$ now . As far as cost , usually mid 2s for the lift all the way to 3, installed, tires and rims another 2k on average , it would be safer to assume 5k total. One more option is to keep a eye out on a used lift , or even some 4x4 shops will give credit to customers who already have lift and want a bigger lift , so you might call @ and see if they have a used one for sale.

moparmanicac 02-10-2011 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 337ram (Post 439200)
My bro in law works for a 4x4 shop . the mark is double , if they charge you 3k there cost is 1500. Go with a 6" lift you wont regret it . Also a cheaper option is installing the lift yourself , the procomp is easy. 2nd you could install lift now and go with 35s on your stockers with a 1/2" spacer , would save you alot of $$$ now . As far as cost , usually mid 2s for the lift all the way to 3, installed, tires and rims another 2k on average , it would be safer to assume 5k total. One more option is to keep a eye out on a used lift , or even some 4x4 shops will give credit to customers who already have lift and want a bigger lift , so you might call @ and see if they have a used one for sale.

My friend used to work for a local 4x4 shop and I was discussing this w/ him the other day and everything you said sounds exactly like he said. To go the whole 9yards w/ lift wheels and tires your looking at 4.5-5k

NickDangerXJ 02-11-2011 01:20 AM

Cool, thanks for the info.

I work for Interstate Batteries as a route driver, and I have a couple of 4x4 shops as accounts, as well as a few tires shops, so I need to see if I can work some good deals out of some places to keep it on the cheaper end of things.

thatreddodge 02-11-2011 09:59 AM

Hey man, I bought some 33" Cooper Zeon LTZ tires and some Eagle Alloy 20" rims for $1500, I think I got a pretty good deal though. I dont know how much more 35" tires will run you.

bamasport 02-11-2011 12:09 PM

I bought all mine seperately and then took it too the local 4x4 shop for them to install it. Seemed cheaper to do it that way in my case. There are a lot of good deals out there that a shop will not give you. Try to work some things out with your local 4x4 shops, but also keep searching on the internet to find good deals. I paid $1800 for my lift (6" BDS) and about $305/tire 35x12.5x20 Nitto trail grapplers. The install cost me 700 for the lift, mounting, balancing and alignment of the tires.

NickDangerXJ 02-12-2011 12:47 AM

Ok, I think I've figured out what I'm going to do.

I was thinking about getting new wheels because I wanted to go with a black/grey look, but if I just stick with my current wheels (not stock, but nice chrome aftermarket 18s), then it'll save me like a grand or so.

I talked to one of my 4x4 shops and he quoted me at around $1800 installed on a 6" lift and I think I'm going to see about some 35x12.50x18 Cooper STTs for tires, so maybe between 3 - 3.5k total seems pretty doable.

Poriggity 02-12-2011 12:25 PM

While I understand wanting to lift your truck, I will NEVER understand going into debt to do so. If you can't afford it, don't buy it.

NickDangerXJ 02-12-2011 04:03 PM

It's the American way.

bamasport 02-16-2011 05:05 PM

It is the american way lol. well once its all done put some pics up so we can see it. 1800 is pretty cheap for a 6" lift installed. what kit did you go with?