DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Advice needed for Purchase of a Dodge 2500HD 4X4 5.9 Cummins (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=74078)

rpaxton2053 02-11-2011 06:30 AM

Advice needed for Purchase of a Dodge 2500HD 4X4 5.9 Cummins

Hey Guys!

I am new to this forum and I have a few question for you guys driving the diesels. I currently have a 2001 F250 with the 7.3 diesel and it is getting POOR economy (15 MPG highway), and barely pulls a 5K lbs trainler ( I suspect boost leaks).

I am looking to purchase a 2006 to 2007 model 2500HD Megacab 4X4 (pre-emissions) truck.

My Questions for you guys:

1. What type of gas milage (economy) are you guys getting out of this type of truck, and what configurations do you have (Auto/manual tranny; rear axle ratio; and any mods).

2. Is there anything to watch out for when purchasing a Dodge with the Cummins? What type of problems do these trucks run into that I can check for before dropping a lot of cash?

3. Any other advice you might have is VERY welcome!

Thanks in advance!!! :smileup:

Rodg

RamTech 02-11-2011 07:42 AM

Have the front steering/suspension checked out. They tend to wear out before anything else. The both transmissions are pretty solid and the engines reputation speaks for itself. I know most of our customers and my friends are claiming 18-22 mpg depending on how the truck is driven.

PorkChop 02-11-2011 10:41 AM

my dad just bought an 07(all stock larimie), gets about 20 alone and 18 with the holiday trailer. he loves it so far, huge power, cant even feel the 30' trailer behind him.

HawkFan1 02-11-2011 11:23 AM

My in-laws have the 3500 w/a Cummings w/a Stick and they get 23 mpg when they are driving and about 14 mpg when towing their 32 foot 5th wheel. Only real modification I can think of is he had the exhaust done on it.

jcasey10 02-11-2011 01:48 PM

My dad had an 06 Mega Cab 5.9 CTD with a 6 speed manual transmission and he loves it. It averages about 18-19 mpg in town and upwards of 26 mpg highway. He only has a small Edge chip and a new CAI. When he pulls our 36' 5th wheel camper, he gets around 13-14 mpg. When he pulls our 21' boat, it doesn't hurt him. You couldn't tell it was back there. You won't be disappointed with a CTD.

Pull Ya 02-11-2011 02:08 PM

I bought a 04.5 new and traded it with 150k on it. These are the things I would recommend you look at. Front end-"Death Wobble". Read about it on any Dodge forum and it will tell you areas to check. How was it maintained--fuel system--injectors and pumps get real expensive real fast. Has it had a chip or programmer on it? #4 injector line-has it ever been replaced? If not, carry a spare. If it's an automatic trans--how often was it serviced? The auto trans maybe the weakest link in the whole drivetrain, or it could last forever, depends on how it was driven.
Jay

rpaxton2053 02-13-2011 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pull Ya (Post 440486)
I bought a 04.5 new and traded it with 150k on it. These are the things I would recommend you look at. Front end-"Death Wobble". Read about it on any Dodge forum and it will tell you areas to check. How was it maintained--fuel system--injectors and pumps get real expensive real fast. Has it had a chip or programmer on it? #4 injector line-has it ever been replaced? If not, carry a spare. If it's an automatic trans--how often was it serviced? The auto trans maybe the weakest link in the whole drivetrain, or it could last forever, depends on how it was driven.
Jay

Jay,

What is up with the #4 Injector? I have looked around on the site and I don't find any posts about it. Can you give me more information about it?

Thanks,

Rodg

Pull Ya 02-13-2011 08:48 PM

It tends to vibrate and rubs and a crack will wear through the line and shoot fuel all over the engine and you will lose power. At one time that line was on nation wide back order and some people were brazing their old ones and keeping them as a spare. If it happens let me tell you who easy it is to get rid of that damn diesel smell under the hood---LOL. If you need any other info PM and I will give you a couple of web sites you can read about the problem.
Jay

huntergreen 02-14-2011 09:32 AM

i had an 04.5 dodge 3500, 5.9 laramie cc, 4x4, 6sp. man. never had an injector problem, or fuel pump problem and kept the engine totally stock. trans and clutch lasted for over 100000miles before it was totaled. never got over 20mpgs. 17mpg in rural driving with little stop and go going back and fourth to work. multiple trips from nj to florida, avg was only 19.5 hand calc. keep in mind that i live in the most northern part of nj with a lot of hills. on my trips to florida on "95" there is always alot of traffic around the dc area with a lot of stop and go. in north and south carolina, cruising at 80 to 85 mph is common. individual tanks on long trip, best was 20mpg, but i never drove for mpg. a 2wd without truck shell in a flat area may do about 2 to 3 mpg better. the 5.9 engine was maybe the best engine ever produced. the front end is the weak spot on these trucks, specifically the ball joints. figure replacement every 40 to 50000 miles for replacement. i would take truck to a dodge dealer and scanned for evidence of a chip. trans are hit and miss, it has either been abused or it hasn't. if it feels ok now, it should be ok.

huntergreen 02-14-2011 09:34 AM

pullya SEMPERFI from an old navy "doc"