DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   airaid jr. kit (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=74203)

Truckkid42 02-12-2011 09:12 PM

airaid jr. kit

i know the point of an intake is to draw more cooler air into the engine. i think the full CAI's are too over priced and are not bang for your buck. but airaid has these jr. kits that replace the intake pipe and the filter. i believe those are the 2 main components of a true intake. anyone tried this kit???? what gas milage gains will i get usin the kit?? by the way, i have a superchip on the way also.

http://www.airaid.com/ProductDetail....ductID=300-725

Toms Blue Ram 1500 02-13-2011 12:05 AM

Thats quite pricey in my book . For what looks to be a drop in filter and tube . I'd save up and by the real thing . I picked my set-up used for $150.00 .

BigOrange 02-13-2011 09:41 AM

I picked up the Airaid tube on ebay new for $80.00 w/ free shipping, and just used a K&N filter in the stock airbox. The main idea was to get rid of the resonator hat. Don't get hyped about fuel savings though...... I'd say .5 mpg at best. But if you keep your foot in the gas to hear your new intake at work, you'll be loosing some mpg's!!!!

moparmanicac 02-13-2011 02:16 PM

I have just the tube from air raid which is essentially the same thing and my ass dyno tells me its the same boost in power as the regular air raid cai I had on my 4.7 Dakota. My theory behind cais was that our cais are not cais at all but ram air intake still taking warm engine air and that the power gain we actually see is more from the removal of the restrictive stock air hat and tube than from the greater surface area of exposed filter just my .02 got just the tube shipped for about 90$ and am happy w/ the results

05atlanticblue 02-13-2011 11:23 PM

i scored the tube used and use a fram filter with a cut open bottom airbox.

snrusnak 02-15-2011 07:52 PM

Quote:

Thats quite pricey in my book . For what looks to be a drop in filter and tube . I'd save up and by the real thing . I picked my set-up used for $150.00 .
The jr kits will give almost exactly the same result as a full kit, in these trucks. The stock airbox (on my 2010 anyway) is a true cold air intake drawing air from outside the engine bay, so all the benefit is from the high flow filter and removing the baffles by the throttle body and the ribbed intake tube. You can pick these jr kits up cheaper on amazon and ebay. These are good money spent, and so is the superchips!!

moparmanicac 02-16-2011 10:34 AM

Hit the nail on the head airrait MIT plus superchips will really wake up your truck
Quote:

Originally Posted by snrusnak (Post 444912)
The jr kits will give almost exactly the same result as a full kit, in these trucks. The stock airbox (on my 2010 anyway) is a true cold air intake drawing air from outside the engine bay, so all the benefit is from the high flow filter and removing the baffles by the throttle body and the ribbed intake tube. You can pick these jr kits up cheaper on amazon and ebay. These are good money spent, and so is the superchips!!

05atlanticblue 02-16-2011 11:50 AM

the three parts with the biggest gains have been the airaid mit, superchips flashpaq and fastman throttle body.

moparmanicac 02-16-2011 12:04 PM

Looking at the price of the fastman I'm seriously considering getting myself one how does he work the core price?

05atlanticblue 02-16-2011 12:55 PM

he charges you $40 for the core, when you send the old one back he credits you back. seriously worth every penny, night and day difference