DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Towing (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Towing Tutorial (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=74204)

bgerard 02-12-2011 10:16 PM

Towing Tutorial

Being new to a truck that will tow most anything out of a ditch, and wanting to be ready to be play the good Samaritan (being a minister and all) I'd like a tutorial on what I need to be able to help others out of a bind.

I've got a tow hitch in the back and hooks in the front. What do I need and how do I go about this task?

RootBeer 02-12-2011 10:20 PM

1. Good cable or tow strap with hooks on it.
2. NEVER tow in reverse. The hooks on the front of your truck are to pull you out.
3. Use the lowest gear possible. 4Low is good for this. Maximum power/torque with little speed. Read the manual on how to operate your 4wd.

4. Once the person is out of the ditch or whatever, stop. If you need to pull them after they are out put it in 4Hi if you are on dirt/snow/ice, etc. If you are on good pavement use 2WD. 4WD is not to be used on dry pavement.

cudase 02-12-2011 10:51 PM

IMHO leave the vehicle in the ditch and let an insured wrecker service handle the removal. If you want to play good samaritan, check to make sure they are okay, offer to call someone for them and give them a climate controlled place to sit while they wait for the wrecker or a ride home. You will be wishing you didn't pull someone out when you are sitting in a court room because you damaged their bumper when you pulled them out.

RootBeer 02-12-2011 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cudase (Post 441708)
IMHO leave the vehicle in the ditch and let an insured wrecker service handle the removal. If you want to play good samaritan, check to make sure they are okay, offer to call someone for them and give them a climate controlled place to sit while they wait for the wrecker or a ride home. You will be wishing you didn't pull someone out when you are sitting in a court room because you damaged their bumper when you pulled them out.

Excellent advice. :rep: Seems I have to rep a bunch of others before I can rep you again. :D

Crash 02-13-2011 12:24 AM

And if you decide not to follow this advice at least hand the stuck person the end of the strap that is being conected the their vehicle to hook up to their own vehicle. and warn them that you will not be responsible if what they hook up to comes off when you pull on it.

Ram15002ndgen 02-13-2011 01:15 AM

I have to agree with Cudase. Being a Minister you can warm their body and their soul since I'm sure you have the good book with you at all times. Let the Tow truck lift the vehicle while you lift the soul. At least I have never heard of anyone being sued for lifting the other persons soul.

GTyankee 02-13-2011 02:26 AM

I also have to agree with the above texts
if your fairly close to a town, call the wrecker for them, they have or should carry $1,000,000 commercial insurance
if your out a ways from town, use a tow strap, not a chain, connect it up to your vehicle only & hand the other end to the person in distress, explaining what may happen to both of your vehicles IF ...

now if its a person of the opposite gender, you have to play it by ear, never connect to a newer vehicle axle & beware of the possibilities, like broken parts & peoples attitudes

erm 02-13-2011 02:33 AM

I also agree with Cudase. No need to open yourself up to a lawsuit.

Let the pros do the job.

foolioGrimz 02-13-2011 03:06 AM

ive been pulled out plenty of times at the beach. we always paid in beer.

PorkChop 02-13-2011 03:29 AM

never use chains, they break too easy and when they do they cause damage, i dont like your standard tow slings...there meant for you average baby cars, i have a few crane slings that i got at "titan supply" but can be found at any rigging supply company, it have a 5:1 safety ratio and a 26000lb lifting capacity and when you use it in a horizontal scenario it is 5 times the lifting capacity so 130000lb capacity, and if that still isnt enough for ya, if you basket it it will double again giving me a 260000lb capacity. the strap is 25' long and 3" wide, and totaly overkill i know but it was on the discount rack for $30. for the average person there are nylon slings that have an 8800lb capacity, there lightweight and superstrong (44000lb pull capacity before safety ratio of 5:1)and fit in the truck noproblem. plus theyre only about 25-20$