DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Forum Polls! (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   HID Installation Poll (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=74443)

RamTech 02-15-2011 02:52 PM

HID Installation Poll

I see a lot of threads on here regarding HID problems and I'm curious how many people have put them in and had issues.

96RAM5.2 02-15-2011 03:17 PM

ive had mine for about 4 months now and i havent had any problem with em... ive got 10k

platinuminjected 02-15-2011 03:40 PM

no problems and i have 6k

col 02-15-2011 03:47 PM

Yes but still having a small problem.Hope to get it sorted soon.

sk8noregon 02-15-2011 04:20 PM

This is why I haven't installed HID's yet, because this thread exists is one good sign for me that there are quite a few problems with them.

RamTech 02-15-2011 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sk8noregon (Post 444585)
This is why I haven't installed HID's yet, because this thread exists is one good sign for me that there are quite a few problems with them.

Same here. That's why I chose to go with whiter conventional bulbs.

CdnoilRAM 02-16-2011 12:08 AM

One issue I had was getting the correct bulb! No issues with the install, but the fogs have minor flare issues when running for a while, aside from that, love my HIDs.

sullivan 02-16-2011 02:55 AM

No issues, just installed 5k HID's in my fogs and in my Halo projectors. :) Photos will be up tomorrow.

Install consisted of DDM kits, Fogs were plug and play. Lows for Headlights required a harness. Simple easy install. No issues, no flicker.

What you guys need to understand, and what I have learned. Dodge trucks use a "can-bus system" which therefore means you need to fix your HID system using one of three ways. Using resistors, capacitors, or ultimately the best a harness. The lights are not meant to be plug and play on our trucks unless you buy a kit made just for our trucks. But you can use the cheaper alternatives and make them work! Using capacitors isn't recommended. When you turn your truck on, these capacitors just draw power and charge them up. From what I have been told, our trucks aren't meant to handle that jolt of power required for the capacitors on the power on. Therefore using a harness is suggested from what I have been told.

Dennyboy 02-16-2011 07:55 AM

Had a surging and diming problem with my fog lights. They wheren't the best set but look nice. I ended running relays to my lows and fogs, they look much better and don't dim or flash.

RamTech 02-16-2011 08:53 AM

The CAN bus isn't really the issue because the modules aren't communicating with the headlights over the data bus. You do make a good point about the kits not truly being plug and play unless they're specifically designed for one model. What do these companies charge for one of the harnesses you mentioned?