DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2010 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Remote Start Installation Question (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=74453)

billwill81 02-15-2011 03:48 PM

Remote Start Installation Question

The local Dodge dealer wants $450.00 to install the OEM remote start kit. I have the kit which I purchased on Ebay. They will do the program for $110, if I install all of the parts. But here is the kicker, they are telling me if I install the parts from the kit then the truck will not start. Any Ram Techs out there who have any thoughts or input??

RamTech 02-15-2011 03:49 PM

They're right. The WIN module has to be programmed for the truck to start.

billwill81 02-15-2011 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamTech (Post 444604)
They're right. The WIN module has to be programmed for the truck to start.

They just called me back and said it can not be installed at ALL due to the fact the vehicle does not have keyless entry. We have gotten in this debate on the forum before and many people have said it can be done. In additionally they are saying the keyless entry can NOT be added to the vehicle.

RamTech 02-15-2011 03:59 PM

For what they want to install it, I'll bet you can find an aftermarket remote start that will work.

glamontagne 02-15-2011 04:34 PM

Bill, it sounds like you would be better off getting an aftermarket remote start/keyless entry. I bought my factory remote starter for $350 installed from the dealership.

therock2086 02-21-2011 08:04 PM

yea i had mine installed when i bought the truck and told them if i pay for the bed liner i want the remote start free and they did it, so i got 2 for the price of 1

Al E. Gator 02-22-2011 06:53 AM

One guy installed everything except the WIN module and had his loose and hanging under the dash when he pulled up. All the dealer had to do was plug in and program the new WIN module then he was good to go. Did you take a printed copy of the programming instructions from here to the dealer? They were more than willing to add the RKE sales code to my truck when I told them "just do what this paper says and if it doesn't work I'm just out the price of parts and programming."

dankent 02-22-2011 07:36 AM

As for the RKE, Some dealers will do it .. some wont .. some think of it as cheeting the system, some think of it as a dealer installed option .. like dealer lifted trucks .. it most certainly can be done .. as my deal has done it ... your dealer wanting 450.00 for labour is excessive ... as people get the parts and labour for less. Find a new dealer. A local 5 star dealer wouldnt try it for me .. so i went to another non five star dealer and was told they will try it .. but i eat the cost of parts and labour (parts i bought from them), as i have seen four confirmed successes at this .... i said sure ... they did it .. they were surprised .. they waved the labour as now they have a value added option to offer that they didnt before. I was 1 day away from having an aftermarket viper system added ... and got it done. I love to stay factory as much as possible.

It doesnt take much to add the RKE when doing the remote start .. its just adding GXM to the sales codes + the code for the remote start, if memory serves ... there are a couple threads on here about it.

Good to know that bit about the remote start install .... thanks Ramtech and AI Gator for the added info :) I plan on adding this in the fall but would like to do the labour as much as i can myself.

testiclops 02-22-2011 05:16 PM

Go with an aftermarket one. I have the oem one that came with my truck and it is garbage. What is the point of having a remote start if I still have to be within 30 feet of the truck..especially in -40 northern Alberta winters.

mrsprinkler 02-23-2011 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billwill81 (Post 444608)
They just called me back and said it can not be installed at ALL due to the fact the vehicle does not have keyless entry. We have gotten in this debate on the forum before and many people have said it can be done. In additionally they are saying the keyless entry can NOT be added to the vehicle.

Anything can be added to the truck, all it takes is money and the time to do it.

Sounds like you should just take it to a good local shop and let them do aftermarket. You can put in an aftermarket remote start without power lock/unlock so I don't see why they can't do the same with the manual locks. Here is the thing, what happens on a vehicle with power locks that the fuse to the locks blows or the actuator for them goes out when the vehicle is running or trying to be started? It still starts and runs........you just have to use a key to get in. I think it can be done without much hassle but I might be wrong.