DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Front Axel U-Joints (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=74709)

MaddogGM 02-17-2011 09:49 PM

Front Axel U-Joints

I want to start out to say that I know nothing about 4x4 suspensions on a Dodge. I am very mechanical I worked on a road racing team for three years and have played around with cars since I was 6 years old. Just never worked on anything 4 wheel drive. I have a 97 1500 RAM 4x4 that I inherited and it is in need of some repairs. The right front axel u-joints are shot and need to be replaced. I need to know how to do this. I have looked in my repair manual and it seems to just skip right over it. Somehow I am guessing it is not as easy as replacing a u-joint on a driveshaft. Thanks for the help.

RamTech 02-18-2011 09:09 AM

You need to remove the caliper, rotor and hub bearing (which I can about guarantee won't be easy; you may destroy the bearing in the process). Then just slide the axle out and replace the joint.

sbsg2005 02-24-2011 11:37 PM

The hub bearing is a pain to remove. The easiest way I have found was to back all three bolts holding the bearing in out about 1/4 inch. Then put a deep well socket on lower bolt holding the wheel bearing in and hold it there while someone turns the steering wheel jamming the socket between the bolt head and the inner C this in most cases will push the bearing out a quarter inch at a time. Most of the time you will have to start the truck to use the power steering to get enough power to do it. When you go to take the nut off the end of the axle shaft you may need a 6 foot long piece of pipe on the end of the breaker bar. The socket size is 36mm IIRC. There are several youtube videos on this. Them guys hammer the bearing out but this can cause more damage then good.

zxbud 05-01-2011 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaddogGM (Post 447259)
I want to start out to say that I know nothing about 4x4 suspensions on a Dodge. I am very mechanical I worked on a road racing team for three years and have played around with cars since I was 6 years old. Just never worked on anything 4 wheel drive. I have a 97 1500 RAM 4x4 that I inherited and it is in need of some repairs. The right front axel u-joints are shot and need to be replaced. I need to know how to do this. I have looked in my repair manual and it seems to just skip right over it. Somehow I am guessing it is not as easy as replacing a u-joint on a driveshaft. Thanks for the help.

I just did this to both sides at once. I used pb blaster first and then removed the hubs with axels attatched as there's no reason to separate them if the bearings are good. Used a ball joint press from Autozone which will work on ujoints, too. I could not hammer the old joints out. Had to used a 500 lb ft air ratchet on the press to get the 4 hour job done. Truck has 190000 miles and is a 1999 1500.