DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2009 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Air or Nitrogen? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=74795)

fireshallfear 02-19-2011 01:58 AM

Air or Nitrogen?

When I bought my truck, the dealership filled the tires with nitrogen and told me that it was more stable and the pressure changed less with temperature changes. That being said, I have had my TPMS light come on about 2 weeks after I reset it, every time all winter long. Ive gone through the tires and have found no leaks, a friend of mine dismounted all the tires to check for alloy corrosion around the bead of the rims and found nothing. My question is, has anyone noticed a difference between air and nitrogen? Has anyone had the same problems I have? Is nitrogen worth the money?

916Timmy 02-19-2011 02:38 AM

My HID kits mess with my TPMS, but I run nitrogen and hardly ever have to adjust tire pressure

kddsram 02-19-2011 01:22 PM

I use good ol fashion free air and never had a TPMS light come on. Tires are rotated every 10k miles and check pressure at that time but they are usually ok or close.

SslagleZ28 02-19-2011 02:01 PM

I use nitrogen as well but I'm pretty sure i don't have TPMS

rdsabin 02-19-2011 02:40 PM

I run Nitrogen in my Super Bee and finally had to add some after 2 years of driving and sitting in storage each winter. Went back to were I had it done and they added at no charge so can't complain.

CdnoilRAM 02-19-2011 03:47 PM

I haven't found a benefit to the nitrogen over the air. Yes, the nitrogen doesn't contract as much as standard air in the cold, but the cost just doesn't work for me.

rickerred 02-19-2011 07:34 PM

Read some articles about nitrogen vs air. Nitrogen molecules are larger than air molecules so they cannot seep through the tire as easily as air, when it is cold the nitrogen molecules do not shrink as much as air, so little or no pressure loss over time. Also nitrogen is lighter than air allowing for better fuel mileage(supposedly). In warm climates the difference between cold tire pressure and warm tire pressure is mostly the same. In colder climates (using air) the difference between warm tire pressure and cold tire pressure can be 2 or 3 pounds. Now here in Halifax Nova Scotia I am charged $20.00 per tire per fill up of for nitrogen and air is free, some stations charge .50 and the money goes to some type of charity. If you don't mind checking your tire pressure once a week or so in the winter (if you have cold temps in the winter )then air is fine, if your service station allows for free or cheap nitrogen refills , for me air.

09bighorn 02-20-2011 09:09 AM

Here's my theory on nitorgen in the tires. The air that we put into tires is about 80% nitorgen, so there is only a slight gain. Also there is air in the tires t start with, unless you put the tire into vacumn. So I feel as if it is only about 90% nitrogen total. The advantage is lost to me at that point. I have seen many times that even with nitrogen tires (they usually have green valve stem caps) the pressures are low or set to incorrect levels, usually overfilled by alot. I fall into the bad habit of never checking tire pressures ( I check them all day at work for other people) but i never check my preesures except for oil change time and I have never had a TPMS light come on, I have 2 cars with TPMS. System does work, it came on when I cut a sidewall.

CHVYKLR 02-20-2011 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 09bighorn (Post 449041)
Here's my theory on nitorgen in the tires. The air that we put into tires is about 80% nitorgen, so there is only a slight gain. Also there is air in the tires to start with, unless you put the tire into vacumn. So I feel as if it is only about 90% nitrogen total. The advantage is lost to me at that point.

Exactly, that means you are paying for an extra 10-15% nitrogen in your tires for what is maybe a really small increase in mpg. And now you have to deal with the pain of returning to those places that offer nitrogen when you need to add some. With todays CAFE standards and everyone trying to get that extra mile from every gallon you'd think every car manufacturer would offer nitrogen if it were that great.

Plus, I like being able to use my compressor to fill up the tires when needed and not depend on going to some shop and wait in line.

IMHO I'd use the free stuff to save yourself time and money.

moparornocar72 02-20-2011 07:03 PM

to sum up what others have put, the amount of money spent for nitrogen does not justify it any better than air. correct me if that is wrong but thats how i feel aswell