DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2010 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Transmission problems (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=74802)

Tob 02-19-2011 09:51 AM

Transmission problems

So i bought the truck in september and i'm already having problems with the transmission. What a piece of shit....

it started last week when out of nowhere the truck switched to manual gear selection, as if it was in tow/haul mode....but it wasn't. It was stuck on 4 and wouldn't go up or down with the manual selector. i tried just putting it back in normal Drive but it would just skip and go right to Neutral. Good thing I had just gotten off the highway.

So i drove to wherever i was going witch was maybe 5-6 blocks from there, parked it and turned it off for a couple of seconds and then back on. That seemed to clear the error, would engage in Drive and everything seemed fine. Although when i left there later that night, it started acting up again. This time no error, just had a real hard time to shift from 2nd to 3rd, it would rev to about 3k to 4k before shifting.....did that for the same 5-6 blocks until i hit the highway. After that it wasn't as worst but i still though the shifting timing was off...

Got it to the dealer a day later (was due for an oil change so i asked them to rotate the tires while at it, and they managed to bend the brakes back plate on the front passenger side....not impressed. I also told them to look for that 'Duck' noise when starting it cold in the morning and of course the didn't find anything and had no idea)

Said they ran it through the computer and didn't find anything...

so yesterday night i leave my place and it starts acting up again when shifting in 2nd gear, and as soon as i got in town, malfunction indicator light comes on...turn around and realize that it won't shift in 5th at all. So now i'm stuck all weekend with that worthless piece of shit parked in front of the garage and have to wait on monday to bring it back to the dealer once again.

that truck barely hauls anything, it's towed a 16' cargo trailer maybe 10 times, and i only drive it every other week and on the weekends since i carpool to work. (70 miles commute). it's only got 8k miles on it and as always been treated good.

Buddy of mine bought a Ford a week before i bought the Ram, and i'm thinking i should've done the same...

westxsrt10 02-19-2011 12:29 PM

Did you buy the truck new?

Tob 02-19-2011 12:45 PM

brand new, it had 300k on it because they had to fetch it from another dealer

westxsrt10 02-19-2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tob (Post 448339)
brand new, it had 300k on it because they had to fetch it from another dealer

It's frustrating dealing with problems of a new vehicle, try being calm and polite when talking to your dealer. Remember it will get fixed under warrenty.

Frtman 02-19-2011 02:28 PM

Do keep in mind, the 09/10 f150's had much more transmission issues then these year rams, just because your friend didn't, doesnt mean you wouldn't have if you bought one. Sorry for your bad luck, im sure once it gets fixed you wont have any more transmission issues. Not a very common thing on these new trucks

RocknMedic83 02-19-2011 02:42 PM

This is the funniest post/thread I've read on this forum. Great read, I had a laugh. I have that same issue(noise) when I start'er up in the cold. BTW thats an awesome way of describing it (duck quack)LMAO. I havn't had any issues with my tranny, yet any ways. I never mentioned the noise when I went in for an oil change because I figured they wouldn't find it or Might think I was crazy!

Anyways like someone else said, U are under warrenty for at least 3 years, so They'll fix it.

You should start a new thread about the Quack Noise. I'm interested to see if others have that same issue!

Tob 02-19-2011 03:04 PM

actually it seems to be a fairly common thing on 2010 rams. A guy at work has almost the same truck and he experienced the same "stuck in 4th manual" issue. He hasn't had any other issues with the transmission yet, and that happenned 2 weeks ago.

there's also a 6-7 pages thread on another dodge forum with at least a dozen owners reporting the same issue.

But as always the "liarship" is hearing of this problem for the first time...everytime you bring them a vehicle you're always the first one to report that problem, as if they started selling cars yesterday...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frtman (Post 448374)
Do keep in mind, the 09/10 f150's had much more transmission issues then these year rams, just because your friend didn't, doesnt mean you wouldn't have if you bought one. Sorry for your bad luck, im sure once it gets fixed you wont have any more transmission issues. Not a very common thing on these new trucks

Tob 02-19-2011 03:09 PM

it does sound like a freakin' duck is stuck under there does'nt it? everybody i told though i was crazy, glad to hear i'm not...

yeah i figured they wouldnt even try anything on that one....although now they'll probably have to keep the truck for the transmission issue so i'll have them let the truck sleep outside and listen to it start in the morning.

good idea about the thread, i did search a bit on it but couldnt find anything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RocknMedic83 (Post 448384)
This is the funniest post/thread I've read on this forum. Great read, I had a laugh. I have that same issue(noise) when I start'er up in the cold. BTW thats an awesome way of describing it (duck quack)LMAO. I havn't had any issues with my tranny, yet any ways. I never mentioned the noise when I went in for an oil change because I figured they wouldn't find it or Might think I was crazy!

Anyways like someone else said, U are under warrenty for at least 3 years, so They'll fix it.

You should start a new thread about the Quack Noise. I'm interested to see if others have that same issue!

Fordjohn 02-19-2011 03:21 PM

I believe the duck quack noise is the thick power steering fluid hitting the pump impeller as it speeds up during engine start.

Tob 02-19-2011 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fordjohn (Post 448402)
I believe the duck quack noise is the thick power steering fluid hitting the pump impeller as it speeds up during engine start.

it does sound more like an impeller then a belt, so far everybody i've explained that issue to told me a frozen belt... but it really isn't a belt sound. So that could make sense, although there wouldn't really be any fix for it

ever experienced this sound on another vehicle?? i've onwed jeeps before, couple of xj , a wrangler, and the wife has a patriot and none of them did this. And we're not having a really cold winter this year either