DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Exhaust (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   True dual or single to dual? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=75091)

mjbwarrior 02-22-2011 12:49 AM

True dual or single to dual?

I'm looking for best performance and mpg... for the money is true dual the way to go or single to dual good enough?

GPSHSLAX 02-22-2011 05:51 PM

I have single so I can't speak from experiance, but my impression is that single to dual is more a looks thing. If you want performance etc. You probably want true duals. That said I think it's all about volume, a single or single to dual with the same overall interior cross-sectional area as a true dual setup should perform just as well.

PorkChop 02-22-2011 07:18 PM

with all the sensors, it is alot cheaper and easeyer to do the 1 to 2 muffler, you will get upped power and gas milage, but you will get more from true duals with an X pipe

GPSHSLAX 02-23-2011 01:11 AM

I don't belive there are any sensors at or below the Y-pipe (at least on the 4.7 setup) so that shouldn't be an issue. Twice as much pipe, the second muffler, and the X raise the price significantly though.

SslagleZ28 02-23-2011 02:37 AM

It all depends on if your putting down enough power. True 3" duals will flow alot better than a sing 3" setup, but problem being it also takes away alot of back pressure, inturn you lose low end torque. Also it can be quite pricey if you in an emissions area. Trueduals means 2 cats, 2 mufflers and twice the plumbing. With a true dual setup you can either run a X pipe or a H pipe. Im not sure which sounds better this out trucks though, and yes they do sound different. If your not planning on some heavy engine mods id stick with a Y pipe to a single inlet muffler and a dual exit, even a single chamber muffler liek this will still give you adequate back pressure.

mjbwarrior 02-24-2011 12:31 AM

The only mods I plan on doing right away are a performance chip, CAI and the exhaust. Which brings up some other questions... I'll post em' in the appropriate places. I guess the CAI and chip are not heavy enough modification wise to go with a true dual so I guess it's going the single to dual. Alot less expensive also!

Zippo973 04-15-2011 01:00 AM

I'm trying true dual with one flowmaster super 4o dual in dual out muffler and resonator tips.

RAMING IT 04-15-2011 07:31 AM

I got a stock Y pipe minus cat, 3" all the way to a single in/out flowmaster 10 series single chamber and boy.... it feels strong and sounds great!

jc4041 04-15-2011 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAMING IT (Post 501127)
I got a stock Y pipe minus cat, 3" all the way to a single in/out flowmaster 10 series single chamber and boy.... it feels strong and sounds great!

pretty much the same way...but still running stock manifolds, cats and Y...but cherry bomb extreme (same as flow 10) dumped out in front of the passenger tire...can't wait to finish it and really let her breath!

RAMING IT 04-15-2011 08:21 AM

Im still running stock manifolds too. I have two stock precats on my Y pipe were my 02's are but the main cats gone. I got my 3" running all the way back to the stock rear corner panel. I hear that dumping them at the muffler sounds a bit more deeper?