DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2009 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   any major problems with the 09's? thinking of returning my warranty (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=75738)

alaskanram 02-28-2011 10:33 PM

any major problems with the 09's? thinking of returning my warranty

so i bought an extended 5 year warranty with my truck and im thinking of returning it (i have 60 days to get a full refund).

the truck is a regular cab short bed hemi. has 7600 miles and is under factory warranty for 17 more months. i bought a 5 year extended warranty with 100 dollar deductable for 1250$.

im not sure if i should keep it or not. i think the factory will be fine but im wondering if anyone is having any kind of big expensive problems so far.

PorkChop 02-28-2011 10:51 PM

no problems with mine, but i would keep the extended warrenty, with all the electronics in trucks these days, it only takes one fix and your extended is paid for. electrical fixes are expensive

sinned 02-28-2011 11:00 PM

As a Mopar mechanic, many times when deciding whether to cover something or not, we would factor in the customers loyalty to the service department AND whether or not they had a DCX extended warranty plan. Just something to consider.

Diagnostic and replacement of something like a fuel module (fuel pump) is easily over 1K. All of those switches in the dash and door panels add up quick too. And God help you if anything in the HVAC goes out and the dash has to be R&R'd to get it fixed.

scots2413 03-01-2011 07:21 AM

Did you get the Max care warranty from Chrysler? If so then I would definitely keep it. If not then I would think about getting your refund and going with the Max care. If you dont keep your truck for the full length of the warranty then most warranties will give a prorated refund.

CdnoilRAM 03-01-2011 09:26 AM

As has been stated, small things can add up to a big bill, especially when it comes to electrical issues. I recently had HVAC issues on my '07 and total bill was $2300... glad I had 4 days left on my warranty. I would personally keep it as you've already paid for it and it will probably save you money in the long run.

bigedschukar 03-02-2011 12:02 PM

I currently have no warranty but am thinking of getting the max coverage. Question though... is it safe to say that anything I do an aftermarket mod on will not be covered?

Example: I have a leveling kit not installed by the dealer, so now my front suspension would not be covered.

Or if I wanted to do the cabin air filter mod. If I do that, my A/C system wouldn't be covered? Or if I add aftermarket fogs to the bumper and then my bumper falls off on the freeway.

Thoughts...anyone.... thanks!

Big Daddy 03-02-2011 07:35 PM

Agree that a Chrysler Max Care is the way to go. If you have it keep it. If you don't have it return the other warranty and use the money to get a Max Care.

STLRam 04-26-2011 01:20 AM

I love my 09 but i also love my warranty almost as much. im at 55000, had the hvac thing and some kind of pigtail was too short or something that made the check engine light come on and lose major hp.

My highbeams stoped working around 37,000. Hardly use them anyways.

And hate to say it but currently dealing with some kind of battery drain. I love my truck,but I naturally have bad luck, so that extra thousand for my extended warranty was well worth it.

GTyankee 04-26-2011 01:50 AM

i bought my '09 in february '09
before my 26 month, 36,000 mile warranty was up, i got the LIFETIME MAXIMUM CARE warranty
i already have the lifetime drive train warranty
i have 41,000 + miles on my Ram
so far all of my problems have been drive train issues
i canceled my original warranty the same day that i bought the new warranty, so i only paid $1200 for the best lifetime warranty
everything is covered except for normal wear parts

you can't beat that with a whip, baseball bat, & a some nipple clamps

Quiet Lunatic 04-28-2011 04:53 PM

Most experts will tell you that you are wasting your money on extended warranties. Just Google the subject and you will see I'm not kidding. You already have the lifetime power train warranty, you also have the 8 year 80,000 mile emissions warranty (engine control modules, cats) anything that causes the truck to fail smog test. I have never purchased an extended warranty on any of my new vehicles (5 trucks) and never needed it so I'm way ahead if I ever need to spend some on repairs. Think of it this way, what could really cost so much to fix? Any of the uncovered electronics can be gotten off a wrecking yard, as times passes, more and more aftermarket repairs and parts are available. If you plan to keep the truck past ten years keep it otherwise forget it. Electronics that fail usually fail right away, if they don't they last forever.