DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.7L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=185)
-   -   Front of truck shakes when brakes are hit... (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=75759)

BigHornRam2006 03-01-2011 07:55 AM

Front of truck shakes when brakes are hit...

I have had an issue with my '06 Ram shaking in the front when I hit the brakes. The shaking was so bad at one time when I hit the brakes at night I see my headlight beams bouncing up and down on highway signs. So first action I did was change out all four brake rotors and replace with crossed drilled slotted rotors with ceramic pads(February 2011). Now when I hit the brakes it only shakes a tad bit and not as much as it did before. What else could be making the truck shake? The inner and outer tie rod ends have been competely replaced back in September (due to the previous driver not taking care of it). I am also coming up on 60,000 miles. Should there be anything that I need to replace around this time? Please help me out!

platinuminjected 03-01-2011 08:55 AM

It could be your rotors again because the drilled rotors are not good in my eyes because when they drill them it wrecks the small plates i guess i could call it thats inbetween there fore making it weaker and easier to warp

RamTech 03-01-2011 09:01 AM

Tire imbalance can be amplified by braking. Have a road force balance done to eliminate radial and lateral imbalance. If you have a bad tire, this will identify it.

wylie 03-01-2011 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigHornRam2006 (Post 457675)
I have had an issue with my '06 Ram shaking in the front when I hit the brakes. The shaking was so bad at one time when I hit the brakes at night I see my headlight beams bouncing up and down on highway signs. So first action I did was change out all four brake rotors and replace with crossed drilled slotted rotors with ceramic pads(February 2011). Now when I hit the brakes it only shakes a tad bit and not as much as it did before. What else could be making the truck shake? The inner and outer tie rod ends have been competely replaced back in September (due to the previous driver not taking care of it). I am also coming up on 60,000 miles. Should there be anything that I need to replace around this time? Please help me out!

There are grease seals that could be leaking lubricant on the rotors which will make the truck shake bad. They are a cheap change and might fix your problem.

PorkChop 03-01-2011 02:09 PM

sounds to me like warped rotors

charlieb 03-01-2011 09:47 PM

every time ive come across it always been bad rotor cheap ones warp easily from high heat/friction when stopping could be manufacturers defect?? just my expierence so far

BigHornRam2006 03-02-2011 01:01 PM

It would just seem odd if these new rotors warped that fast. I know they are the same thickness of the factory ones. But the shaking is only coming from the front driver's side.

charlieb 03-02-2011 04:21 PM

brake checkups are free around these parts midas/mr.transmission let a pro take a quick look at it, dont have to let them do the work

nitro1965 03-02-2011 11:32 PM

i had the same problem and it turned out to be a broken steel belt on tire. i replaced tire and the shake went away as well as the wobble in steering wheel,

3rdgenluder 03-03-2011 07:55 AM

what is the condition of your tires? have you had your alighnment done recently?
bad alighnment can cause poor tire wear and then the poor tire condition can affect breaking and acceleration...one effect is bad vibrations