DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2010 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Tailgate down = Rock chips? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=75983)

OregonTRX4 03-03-2011 03:46 PM

Tailgate down = Rock chips?
 
I was wondering if anyone that has been driving with their tailgate open has go any rock chips? if so whats an easy way to protect it? My quad wont fit with it closed.

Chili1K 03-03-2011 04:44 PM

my other trucks tailgate was Littered with chips because i drove with it down a lot loading and unloading building stuff..

to protect it? hmmm good question..maybe a good clear vinyl cling, maybe?

Takes 2 minutes to pull it off. Will it fit if you took it completely off? whats hitting? the exhaust? grab bar? ....


You can wrap it with a tarp or something...

Im outta of suggestions...

OregonTRX4 03-03-2011 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chili1K (Post 460067)
my other trucks tailgate was Littered with chips because i drove with it down a lot loading and unloading building stuff..

to protect it? hmmm good question..maybe a good clear vinyl cling, maybe?

Takes 2 minutes to pull it off. Will it fit if you took it completely off? whats hitting? the exhaust? grab bar? ....


You can wrap it with a tarp or something...

Im outta of suggestions...

The quad itself is too long(short bed). I was thinking of just wrapping a blanket around it.

Briansal 03-03-2011 05:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just posted this in another thread. I use two car ramps to drive the front tires of my quad on so that I can close the tailgate. It also needed about 4 inches and this gives me the room I needed to close it. It is nice to be able to put the aluminum quad ramps and other things in the bed without fear of them falling out. I don't know if a similar set up could be used for the bikes
Attached Thumbnails

sk8noregon 03-03-2011 05:45 PM

Where at in Oregon are you ? When I have my Quad or Go-Kart loaded I can usually get my tailgate half way closed then I just strap it closed. But like Chili said, if you don't need to have it on, they come off pretty easily.

MrPEZO 03-04-2011 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Briansal (Post 460112)
I just posted this in another thread. I use two car ramps to drive the front tires of my quad on so that I can close the tailgate. It also needed about 4 inches and this gives me the room I needed to close it. It is nice to be able to put the aluminum quad ramps and other things in the bed without fear of them falling out. I don't know if a similar set up could be used for the bikes
Attached Thumbnails


Thats sweet fix.

Yeah try some Suran wrap or something or another thing you can use that will stay on is blue painters tape. That will stay on at highway speeds, it also works great for bugs on your front end, Just Google that and look at the pics of the cars.

BLKSVT 03-04-2011 02:12 PM

They make a spray on bug sheild stuff, I used it on my Lightning towing it to Texas. Sprayed on easy and came off with a water hose. No chips at all

awful knawful 03-04-2011 05:21 PM

wrap it with saran wrap (plastic wrap) the kitchen stuff. I lay it all over the fenders when I'm working on any vehicle so I don't scratch them. Should work for the tailgate too. Just wrap it around and around a few times, sticks to itself and easy on/off.
http://www.saranbrands.com/
this stuff, pretty cheap too.

old hot rod 03-05-2011 07:34 PM

Great thinking Briansal,
What size bed and what kind quad, how tall are the ramps and do you have enought head board to stop the quad from hitting the cab?
Thanks

Briansal 03-06-2011 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old hot rod (Post 461953)
Great thinking Briansal,
What size bed and what kind quad, how tall are the ramps and do you have enought head board to stop the quad from hitting the cab?
Thanks

It is the 6'4" bed with a arctic cat 500 quad that is quite large.I think the ramps are around 10"-11" high, just plastic car ramps. when I drive on them then close the gate I roll back to the gate then strap her down tight. there is still quite a bit off room to the window and with the angle of the quad the tires can touch the front of the bed without anything touching the window. Just have to move the winch hook from being right up front. I just strap it to the top rack of the quad.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger