DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   3.7L (226 cu in) PowerTech V6 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   2011 ram knocking sound in engine (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=76295)

sparks11 03-06-2011 11:35 PM

2011 ram knocking sound in engine

hello to everybody I'm new to the forum and new to own a ram, bought mine just a week ago and I love it! it's a good truck, I bought the basic model meaning st, no luxuries at all and have 3.7 engine, well it works very good!
but I have noticed a knocking sound inside the engine, the sound is firms and solid, you can hear it after the engine has reached normal temperature,
I was wondering if it is the gasoline?? the manual says 87 grade is recommended but I'm doubting that, anybody with the same problem???

RamTech 03-06-2011 11:44 PM

You should take it back to the dealer and have them check it out. Knocking isn't normal from any engine.

brad12kx 03-06-2011 11:55 PM

As RamTech suggested, take it to the dealer so that if nothing else, you leave with peace of mind. The best part about it being a 2011, if an issue exists....Warranty!

Went you get a chance, why not stop by the 'Newbie Checkin' and introduce yourself and receive a warm Ram ForumZ welcome. :smileup:

sparks11 03-06-2011 11:56 PM

thanks ramtech!, this coming tuesday they are going to install a bedliner then
I will tell them about the knocking sound, hopefully they will be able to check it out the same day.

sparks11 03-06-2011 11:58 PM

Quote:

As RamTech suggested, take it to the dealer so that is nothing else, you leave with peace of mind. The best part about it being a 2011, if an issue exists....Warranty!

Went you get a chance, why not stop by the 'Newbie Checkin' and introduce yourself and receive a warm Ram ForumZ welcome. :smileup:

sparks11 03-09-2011 01:32 AM

well I dropped my truck today at the dealer and they kept the truck the whole day, they are going to install the bedliner put some sealant on the paint and they will check the knocking on the engine. tomorrow i will know
if it's nothin but cheap gas or is something more serious, also I just ordered
some chrome accesories on line, wheel covers,side mirrors chrome covers,tailgate chrome cover and door handles chrome covers, asked local store for custom wheels and the ones i like are $1300 but it will be a waste
to me not to use the factory tires since they are brand new, I decided to give them a good use and when I see signs of wearing I will go and get
a 22' I would say a year at least, meanwhile I will have my factory steel wheels with chrome wheel covers, when I have the truck with all those
chrome mods i will post some pics:smileup:

ArmyofOne 03-09-2011 02:43 AM

you have the ST, is it the quad cab, or the single? Long bed, Short? 4x4 or no? Details man! LOL.

sparks11 03-09-2011 11:26 PM

lol!! st, quad cab short bed,2wd, v6 3.7 engine, went to pick it up today and they said that knocking is probably from cheap gas, they could not find nothing wrong matter of fact they said the engine never did a noise, so far I have not heard the noise again, but they said if it comes back first change gas grade which in this case my next grade would be 89 then if the noise still present take it back.:smileup:

RamTech 03-10-2011 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne (Post 465948)
you have the ST, is it the quad cab, or the single? Long bed, Short? 4x4 or no? Details man! LOL.

Pushy, isn't he?! :LOL:

sparks11 03-10-2011 11:41 PM

Lol!:gy: he sure is!!