DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Superchips on mine? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=76369)

BCWhite 03-07-2011 06:16 PM

Superchips on mine?

I have an 03 SLT with the 4.7 and it's a manual. I was researching Superchips today and was confused. Will it work on mine? Some of the x's in the application part of their website turned me off on it. My questions for the masses are will it work on my specific vehicle? Will it work with a CAI? Which one should I buy? Thanks.

05atlanticblue 03-07-2011 11:48 PM

yes, it will work on yours. having the manual tranny means you can use the less expensive flashpaq (no need for advanced auto tranny tuning)
a cold air intake will work with it - my dad uses the now defunct true flow xdi intake and i use an airaid intake tube paired up with a stock airbox with the bottom opened up.

also look at the fastman throttle body and a good cat-back exhaust for some great gains.

RumbleRam 03-07-2011 11:53 PM

if you do get the superchip let me how much it improved your power out put because i have a shop that uses the SCT tuner to tune my truck, but i'd like to do it myself

BCWhite 03-08-2011 12:12 AM

Well the overhead console says I get 11 MPG! I'd like to fix that.

RumbleRam 03-08-2011 12:20 AM

yeah..uh....mine says...well....10.6 haha.....i have a heavy right foot now tho, since i got the 10.5:1 pistons and H/O cams with a tune, but i actually get about 22-23 interstate if i take it easy lol, but intown is what eats my MPG's and thats mainly the type of driving i do lol

05atlanticblue 03-08-2011 12:56 AM

the suprechips really woke my truck up. it isn't exactly an instant gain as the computer learns all the new settings/parameters, etc.

the overhead console mpg gauge is nothing more than a glorified vacuum gauge. real mpg's can be figured by filling the truck completely, driving then filling up completely again. divide the miles by the gallons you used and you will have an accurate measurement.

RumbleRam 03-08-2011 01:22 AM

yeah thats what my dad does with his 92 Cummins haha the fuel gauge went out, and he said he's to lazy and it's to old to fix, so he just does the math lol and watches the miles lol, I believe that his truck is up to 856k miles, same motor and trans!! i'll have to look in the morning when he gets back haha

moparmanicac 03-09-2011 12:41 AM

If im not mistaken a programmer will help you less w/ a manual tranny but would still be worth it. My favorite thing about my superchips is the crisper shifting and better shift points.

caspershadow 03-12-2011 10:30 PM

Where is the best place to buy superchips for our 4.7L?