DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Towing (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=191)
-   -   Towing wiring issues 2007, 1500 (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=76458)

tjcole 03-08-2011 02:16 PM

Towing wiring issues 2007, 1500

I have a 2007 Ram 1500 with the factory towing package.

I just bought a travel trailer and when the RV dealer went to test the lights on their little tester, it is showing that whenever I turn on the left turn signal, the backup lights also blink.

We tested this tester on some other trucks at the dealer parking lot (other dodge rams) and they tested out just fine. We hooked up the travel trailer and it did the same thing the tester was doing

I disconnected the towing brake so there is nothing plugged into the system that is not factory. I went over every inch of the wiring that is visible and I see no rodent damage or any other abrasions.

At the moment I have it at the dealer but they are proving to be incompetent.
The dealer says they tested all the leads for correct voltage and they seem fine. The issue is there seems to be a short and the left turn signal is also activating the backup lights causing them to blink as well. weird.

Does anyone have any ideas or experience with this phenomenon?

Thank you,

Todd Cole

RamTech 03-08-2011 09:44 PM

If the wiring checks out good then the TIPM is the most likely culprit.

tjcole 03-17-2011 12:45 AM

Ok I found out what happened.
It only took three trips to the Dodge dealer...
It appears that there is a connector somewhere in the electrical wiring for towing brakes and the other wires. Well the dealer found that the factory never physically connected the wires. So they connected them and now it all works great.

Hope this helps someone else.

Thank you,

wylie 03-17-2011 02:33 PM

What is amazing about your 2007 is that the problem has existed the whole time you have had the truck. How did it pass state inspection for 5 years in a row without someone seeing that problem??????

RamTech 03-17-2011 02:46 PM

Do they check trailer light hookups during the inspections?

tjcole 03-18-2011 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wylie (Post 474608)
What is amazing about your 2007 is that the problem has existed the whole time you have had the truck. How did it pass state inspection for 5 years in a row without someone seeing that problem??????

We don't have state inspections. Just have to buy our tabs once a year and thats it.

I've never towed anything other than a 4-wire boat trailer (worked just fine) but when the RV dealer tested the 7-pin, thats when the problem was discovered.

Thank you for the help.