DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (
-   Suspension (
-   -   Steering issues (

White98 03-08-2011 10:58 PM

Steering issues
OK my first post. My '98 1500 has a hard time staying in the lane on the freeway. Its a constant correcting process. About a year ago I had the whole front end redone axle u-joints, tie rod ends, track bar, upper and lower ball joints, new shocks and alignment. Funny thing is it seemed tighter and drove better before. I've tightened the adjustment screw on the steering box that helped but its still moves all over at higher speeds. I've been to a couple of shops, had it checked and they say everything is tight. Now I've since read that the steering boxes and steering shaft are weak links. I don't have any clunking or noise it just seems that there is alot of correcting going on. So I guess my question is am I on the right track with the box and shaft? And since its going to be pricey is there one that I should do first before the other? Thanks

RamTech 03-08-2011 11:01 PM

Intermediate shaft play is very likely. The boxes do need adjustments sometimes but if you don't know what you're doing, you can do more harm than good.

White98 03-08-2011 11:11 PM

How much play is to much? Is it a grab and wiggle thing?

RamTech 03-08-2011 11:15 PM

You're going to get a little bit with a recirculating ball system like the one on your truck. I have R&P on mine, so any play is too much to suit me. IMO, about 3/8" is normal for an older truck.

sinned 03-08-2011 11:22 PM

Sounds like a track bar to me

White98 03-08-2011 11:23 PM

Sounds like I may need to replace that shaft. Thanks. This front end has been driving me nuts.

White98 03-08-2011 11:26 PM

I thought track bar also even though its new too so I had the wife move the steering wheel while I looked down at it and I didn't see it flexing or moving.

kzowarrior 04-01-2011 09:18 PM

im having the same problem, its horrible. i had a friend redo the entire front end and its never been the same. i was looking at rebuilding the steering box or upgrading it. its leaking a little but it never drips.its has way too much play.

White98 04-01-2011 09:29 PM

After alot of looking and asking around i bought a steering gear box brace to try. I'm going to put it on tomorrow I'll make sure and post the results.

kzowarrior 04-01-2011 09:38 PM

i saw a post on 4wheeldrive about all dodges having this issue. they didnt say how much the new pump cost but they did list the tools needed. mine just went one day while i was driving down the road. ok one min, crap the next. i was thinking about picking up a new gear from a junk yard. not sure how much it takes to rebuild one. i know my dad did t on a jeep a while ago, said it was nothing. good luck dude, cant wait to see the results.