DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Any PREVENTATIVE maintenance for the Clear Headlight Lenses? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=76596)

RammD 03-09-2011 05:10 PM

Any PREVENTATIVE maintenance for the Clear Headlight Lenses?

I've read a ton of posts regarding products for "restoring" the headlight lenses after the clear coat fades off and I know there are a lot of products out there for restoring. Anyway, I didn't think too much of it, because my Ram is new, and although I wash it once a week, no less then 3x a month...I don''t know that just washing routinely is gonna prevent that headlight lens fog issue.

I just walked outside at work to make a call during my lunch break and I kid you not, every single car I walked by in the parking lot had that lens FOG on their cars. It looked BAD! There were 2 Hondas, 1 Toyotoa and 1 Lexus..all of which had the issue and none of which were more then 6 years old.
Mine look great as they are new but I was wondering what steps can be taken or products can be used in order to prevent this headlight fog issue from occurring? Anyone have any good tips? :smileup:

RamTech 03-09-2011 09:04 PM

I use Plexus plastic polish on my ATV's headlights and it works well. It was originally designed for high dollar aircraft windshields and has made its way into the mainstream market. The only place to get it around here is at a motorcycle shop and it's not cheap but worth the money in my opinion. It also works well on tail lights, vent visors and bug deflectors.

RammD 03-10-2011 03:43 PM

As usual Randy..you're the man...thanks for the heads up on Plexus. Just a quick question. You mentioned you use this on your ATV, but do you didn't mention you use it on your Ram...any particular reason wny? Have you replaced your lenses with new ones yet?

JHamilton 03-26-2011 12:31 AM

Hi, I have a Meguiar's kit I purchased because I like the flat wool buffing pad that comes with it. I obviously haven't had my truck long enough to use it, but I hit my car up once a year -- real quick, not a total job, but it does the trick for maintenance.

For anyone who's headlights are bad, these kits do work with one step added. Before you polish with the kit (or by hand) wet sand the headlight with 1200 grit paper. Works like a charm and your headlights will look brand new!

rtkman 03-26-2011 06:20 AM

Wax em. I wax my headlights and any chrome every time I wax my truck. I've always done this and never had headlights fade on me. Plastic is very similar to clear coat. If you don't maintain it. It will dry out and oxidize. Keep it sealed up and protected.

Route66indy 03-26-2011 04:14 PM

Not sure where you live,but hear in Indy in the winter we have the nasty salt to deal with. I also wax my headlights,but also keep them clean in the winter time. Don't just use a dry rag to wipe them off,but either glass cleaner or warm water. This will help them from getting scratches,haze and also help you see better without a flim of crud on them.

rtkman 03-26-2011 09:19 PM

I'm in Ontario Canada. We have lots of salt too.

RammD 03-29-2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

If you don't maintain it. It will dry out and oxidize. Keep it sealed up and protected.
Yeah man, this is exactly why I asked this because maintenance would be a lot less costly then having to replace both headlight housings. And the whole restore thing seems like a several step process so if Waxing will protect them then it's a piece of cake to do while i'm doing a full wax which I do 3-4x a year.

I should mention that right after I posted this I was in pep boys and laughed because I saw a product I had NEVER seen before. It was by blue magic called headlight SEALANT. They had another product called headlight RESTORER which is obvious as to what it is...but I had NEVER seen a headlight SEALANT prior and like a day or two after I post this I saw it from blue magic in Pep boys..lol. I did some searching online and can't find any reviews on it but I know blue magic make excellent products so I may end up trying that too....anyone know of this product?