DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   what PSI on aftermarket wheel/tire?? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=76597)

BRYFRY 03-09-2011 06:26 PM

what PSI on aftermarket wheel/tire??

How do I find out what is the best/propper PSI I should air my aftermarket tires to?

They are Nitto Terra Grapplers 305/45/R22, and I have an 09 4x4 crew cab.

Do you just go by the "max load" on the side of the tire or is there a better way to determine the right amount of pressure these things should have?

....Also, does anyone know what the recomended poundage I should be torquing the lugs to on these 22" wheels??

erm 03-09-2011 07:41 PM

Normally I am right at 10 PSI below max PSI listed on the tire.

Before I answer the question on the wheel torque, what kind of wheels do you have?

RamTech 03-09-2011 10:00 PM

Start with the recommended pressure on the B-pillar of the drivers door. If you have 10 ply tires on a 1500, there's no need to run 80 psi in them. This would adversly effect handling and cause the center of the tire to wear prematurely. The wheels torque to 130 ft lbs.

flip16 03-09-2011 10:18 PM

i run my 305's at 47psi... 65psi is max cold load on mine. when the dealer installed them they went to factory specs but they felt flat, they are LT tires which they sold me, LT's do not come factory on 1500's so the sticker on the door would be off. 75% of max should do you fine unless the truck feels bouncey.

Truckkid42 03-09-2011 10:41 PM

run your tires where you feel comfortable at. i would say somewhere around 45 would be good. just remember, the higher the PSI, the better the gas and the faster the wear. the lower the PSI, the better the grip. recrememder torque specs is 135 f/lbs. it doesn't matter when you switch wheels, its all about the studs on the truck.

BRYFRY 03-09-2011 10:44 PM

Thanks guys! That gives me a good idea of what to try them out at.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MADDOG (Post 466537)
Normally I am right at 10 PSI below max PSI listed on the tire.

Before I answer the question on the wheel torque, what kind of wheels do you have?

....They are Boss 329's, black finish with custom black center caps.
-Pics will be coming soon, but I want to finish blacking out some of the trim on the truck to match the wheels before I take pics! :smileup:

Thanks guys!

Ramathorne 03-10-2011 08:45 PM

I run my 285/65/20 BFG AT TA at 45PSI in Winter, 35PSI in Summer and 40psi in the Spring & Fall....
Only exception is is I have to travel during a bad winter storm with lots of snow/slush/ice I knock them back to 35psi and after the roads clear off back up to 45psi I go....