DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Ford vs. Dodge what are your thoughts? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=76684)

pcsmith 03-10-2011 01:51 PM

Ford vs. Dodge what are your thoughts?

Hello All,

I / my family have traditionally been Ford owners. Currently I have a Ford F-350 with the 7.3L Diesel 2WD. I like it but it has the very high torque gearing in the back and I think it is a little slow and cumbersome. I had a 2001 F-150 before and I really liked the way that handled and cornered but the 4.7L gas was way underpowered. At this point I'm pretty much set on a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck and I'm basically set on 4WD. I am kind of on the fence between gas and diesel and the bigger problem between Ford or dodge. The general layout I'm looking for is a 4 door short bed. If were talking Dodge I like the mega cabs over the 4 door.

I don't do alot of towing and the biggest thing I would ever tow would be a few tons, like a midsize tractor. My needs really dont justify a 3/4 or greater ton truck but I think in general they are built heavier and that appeals to me.

With that said there is the gas or diesel. My needs by no means justify a diesel but I feel as though its just a beefy er setup. Also I think that if you buy a more powerful setup it uses less of its potential on a daily basis and in turn lasts longer. I have heard in the Dodges the tranny they put in the diesels cant handle the engine and the tranny goes quick?

If any of you are knowledgeable about mega cabs if you could throw in your 2 cents comparing mega cab to quad cab in dodge and either of those to crew cab in Ford.

I / my family have had nothing but trouble with anything GM so totally not interested in that route. I any of you could throw in thoughts about the ford dodge comparison that would be great.

Thanks! Sorry for throwing alot out there at once.

jcasey10 03-10-2011 02:43 PM

Well, you came to a Dodge Forum, so you're gonna hear Dodge of course lol. I would say get an 06-08 Mega Cab with a Hemi. The new 6.7l Diesels are made to really work, so when you don't work them they mess up. The Hemi will have plenty of power to haul a tractor. And with the 06-08 1500 Mega Cabs, they're very similar to a HD truck. They're basically 2500's as far as the suspension goes. And when you get that Mega Cab, you won't want anything else. It's absolutely amazing. My father has one and it's unbelievably spacious. Just my .02! Good luck!

HerRam 03-10-2011 02:52 PM

just FYI Dodge DOES make a Crew Cab also...a little bigger than the Quad cab but a little smaller than the Mega Cab

RamTech 03-10-2011 03:40 PM

The older 48 RE transmissions that used to be behind the CTD wasn't nearly as good as the 68 RFE being used these days so you can pretty much lay your transmission concerns to rest. The Hemi is backed by the 545 RFE. If you want a gas burning 2500 with more off road goodies and comforts than you know what to do with, take a look at the Power Wagons. The come with locking diffs, sway bar disconnects and a factory 12000 lb Warn winch. I really don't recommend buying a diesel unless you have a need for one. These engines are designed to be worked and worked hard. Babying a 6.7 is the worst thing you can do to it short of idling it all the time.

pcsmith 03-10-2011 05:17 PM

I actually posted this exact same thread in both the ford forum and the dodge forum. I understand each will have their biases but I want input from both sides. This debate is very frustrating because is seems that you can walk up to any given person on any given day and swear on a different truck every time. Even those god awful chevys

pcsmith 03-10-2011 05:25 PM

To me looking at the quad cab they are exactly the same as the ford extended cab except the door is mounted normally not clamshell style. The dodge crew cabs look a little better but the mega cab still looks to be what is comperable to fords crew cab. Honestly the cummins and the mega cab are really why is apealling to me about dodge. If ford made the 7.3 in a truck newer than 2006 I'd get that in two seconds. I have just heard terrible things about the 6.0's

RamTech 03-10-2011 05:59 PM

I've had some experience with the 6.0 and can say it runs good until you need power to pull or haul - it's weak with a load. You could safely say I'm a Ford hater but the 7.3 was a damn good engine once they worked the bugs out of it. They should have never discontinued it.

CdnoilRAM 03-10-2011 06:18 PM

OK, as an owner of an '09 PowerStroke Superduty and a diehard Dodge fan I consider myself to be pretty level headed to answer this question. I love my 6.4L P/S as a work truck, it's the most reliable diesel hauler I've driven... but it's not a cummins :D

You say you will not be doing any reqular or 'serious' towing, if this is the case, then stay away from the diesels; the new diesels with the DPFs NEED to be driven hard and put away wet if you don't tow. As much as I'm a oil-burner lover, it wouldn't be practical for you and you'd run into lots of troubles with the emissions systems clogging up regardless of make.

I would recommend the gas engine in a 3/4 ton, and if you want some good power for the occasional hauling... STAY AWAY FROM THE FORD! The ford's gas engine has zero guts, even the NEW ford built motor is lacking in the 3/4 ton. I drive a '10 F-250 Superduty gas job for my current contract (client supplied :smileup:, and with the topper and all my rescue gear in the box (~500lb) the truck is sluggish on climbs, but handles the horrible oilfield roads nicely. The fuel economy is about equal between the gas 3/4 tons, but don't expect miracles, around 13MPG would be average, as they do not have the MDS or any kind of fuel savings management in the 3/4 ton trucks.

If you are set on a 3/4 ton for the heavier duty, then you'll sacrifice the mileage, and I'd highly recommend the hemi as it has much better digging power compared to the ford 5.4L, which is a whimp when it comes to pushing the truck.

wester399 03-10-2011 11:41 PM

Most opinions on here will be fairly biased seeing we own rams lol. But from having fords as a work truck i can tell you that they are far from reliable. Also the new fords get worse mileage then the hemi. Ive had good luck with my ram so far.

JHamilton 03-11-2011 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcsmith (Post 467456)
To me looking at the quad cab they are exactly the same as the ford extended cab except the door is mounted normally not clamshell style. The dodge crew cabs look a little better but the mega cab still looks to be what is comperable to fords crew cab. Honestly the cummins and the mega cab are really why is apealling to me about dodge. If ford made the 7.3 in a truck newer than 2006 I'd get that in two seconds. I have just heard terrible things about the 6.0's

I have heard bad things about the recent Powerstrokes as well. No idea if they are true or not though. :4-dontknow:

As HerRam posted, each companies crew cabs are comparible in size. The Ram's mega cab is ginormous, although the Ford seems to be wider inside.

Cab type Ram Crew Cab Ram Mega Cab F250 Screw
Head Room - Front 41.0" 41.0" 40.7"
Head Room - Rear 39.9" 40.3" 40.8"
Hip Room - Front 63.2" 63.2" 67.6"
Hip Room - Rear 63.2" 62.9" 67.6"
Leg Room - Front 41.0" 41.0" 41.1"
Leg Room - Rear 42.9" 43.3" 42.1"
Shoulder Room - Front 66.0" 65.9" 68.0"
Shoulder Room - Rear 65.7" 65.7" 68.0"