DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Diablo Predator Questions & Info! (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   New Tuner. To re-flash or not to re-flash (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=76761)

Basher 03-10-2011 11:46 PM

New Tuner. To re-flash or not to re-flash

Hey Guys,

My new Predator came in the mail today and the book says that I can mess up the computer if I try to tune it over another tune. How do I know if the truck has had an upgrade in the past?

I would guess that it is stock, just because there is no CAI, K&N, aftermarket exhaust or anything else that looks like it has been modified. (other than the wheels and suspension)

I did a search on the forum and didnt find a clear answer as to what happens if I plug it in and it has been tuned already, but if DS says I can fry the ECU, I am a little gun shy to try it.

Is there a way to flash the ECU without taking it in? I am guessing not, but it doesnt hurt to ask! Taking it to the shop might be cheap insurance...

Any help is appreciated.

RamTech 03-10-2011 11:57 PM

Nope. The PCM flash has to be done with a scan tool.

Basher 03-11-2011 12:51 AM

Is that a dealer only thing or do most shops have one?

RamTech 03-11-2011 03:15 AM

Some shops do. You'd need to ask because a lot of them don't have that capability.

Basher 03-11-2011 11:35 AM

So I am guessing there is no way of knowing whether the truck has a tune in it already?

It has mild/reasonable performance for a large truck, but nothing to write home about. Getting an average of 14.5MPG for my commute, which is 1/2 city 1/2 freeway.

If I had to guess I would say I am good to go. Is there any way to know for sure?

CdnoilRAM 03-11-2011 01:10 PM

The only way you'd be 100% is if you had the dealership reflash the module to the stock configuration... but I highly doubt you have a custom tune without the previous owner having stated so or if you got it from a dealer, then the previous owner would have reset it and sold the tuner afterwards.

RamTech 03-11-2011 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM (Post 468355)
The only way you'd be 100% is if you had the dealership reflash the module to the stock configuration... but I highly doubt you have a custom tune without the previous owner having stated so or if you got it from a dealer, then the previous owner would have reset it and sold the tuner afterwards.

Either that or included the tuner with the sale. No need to keep it if you can't use it.

Basher 03-11-2011 02:00 PM

Thanks for the help guys.

Basher 03-11-2011 02:53 PM

Gonna re-flash. $112 and can get it in today. It'll give me Dodges upgrades too, so proly a good thing

thanks for the help

MADDOG 03-11-2011 03:58 PM

That ^^^^ is probably the smartest move prior to loading a tuner unless you are CERTAIN your program is stock.