DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Sloshing Gas Tank (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=76790)

JoBo 03-11-2011 12:32 PM

Sloshing Gas Tank

Hey guys, I'm new to the boards and I have My first Dodge coming in soon. I ordered a Outdoorsman and I can't wait, but I'm reading about how on the 32 Gal. tanks you can feel the gas shift when you come to a stop. That honestly is a little discouraging, I know its because there is now baffle in the tank so my question is can one be installed and is it expensive? Also is it really noticeable to make the ride uncomfortable?

-JoBo

bigralphy 03-11-2011 12:40 PM

I only notice it at just under 3/4 tank. I don not feel anything before or after that and it is not that bad. My 2008 Silverado did this as well but at a lesser volume. I dont think you can install a baffle. I believe the tanks are sealed units, or at least they were when I worked in Chrysler parts about 10 years ago.

JoBo 03-11-2011 12:48 PM

Thanks, Now a second part to my question/concern. Do you feel it when you come to a smooth slow stop or is it more when you come to a more sudden stop?

RamTech 03-11-2011 01:13 PM

There's nothing that can be done short of keeping your tank close to full or empty. Shosh is at it's worst at 1/2 tank - just ask any trucker that has towed and unbaffled tanker with 1/2 a load.

bigralphy 03-11-2011 01:30 PM

I would say it happens more with a more aggressive stop. JMO

RamTech 03-11-2011 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigralphy (Post 468332)
I would say it happens more with a more aggressive stop. JMO

That certainly doesn't help.

JoBo 03-11-2011 02:26 PM

Thanks guys for all your responses. I really appreciate it

-JoBo

GTyankee 03-11-2011 04:55 PM

actually it is not that drastic either way, at first i thought something was going on with the brakes or drive shaft, or someone just barely hitting my rear bumper
it is now over 2 years since i bought my Ram & now i look at my fuel gauge instead of checking my rear view mirror

snyds 03-11-2011 09:04 PM

The sloshing is not a big deal and does not bother me now that I know what it is (thanks to the helpful folks on this forum:smileup:). I usually don't notice it, or perhaps it usually doesn't happen, and I think it takes just the right type of stop with just the right amount of gas in the tank to really get a good wtf-I-just-got-rear-ended motion to occur. But hey, that's how you know it's a dodge! It's not perfect, but I like it alot.

MarkThomas 03-12-2011 10:19 AM

I just got a 2011 with the 32 gallon tank. If I have felt the sloshing, it has been minimal...certainly nothing to worry about with your incoming new ride.

Enjoy the new truck!