DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   SRT-10 Hood Issue.... (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=76792)

BigHornRam2006 03-11-2011 12:46 PM

SRT-10 Hood Issue....

During the summer of 2010 while in Iraq, I bought the SRT-10 Duraflex Fiberglass hood. Took the hood and my new grille to the body shop back in September of 2010. Had the hood shaped, blocked, painted, and had the fenders blended in for a little over $900.

To make a long story short, I cannot use my factory hood support lifts. The body shop said that if I use my factory hood support lifts I would crack the fiberglass hood. So then I was only running the truck only on the main latch, I could not go above 55 mph or the hood would tend to shake a bit. So in december I put my factory hood back on because I could not stand driving no more than 55mph, not for the distance I drive to work during the week. I plan on putting this hood back on this summer. I've looked everywhere and I cannot find them. Does anyone know where I can get hood lift supports for a fiberglass hood?

CdnoilRAM 03-11-2011 12:52 PM

Quick question... if your hood is like mine, and it uses the stock brackets, look at where the pistons mount. Mine are a full bracket that the hood bolts to, and the piston is attached to the bracket NOT the hood. This issue has arisen on the fords and chevys that the piston attaches directly to the hood and when it's down, the stock piston was pushing the hood back up as it was too strong. This isn't normally an issue on the dodges for the reason I listed above. My fiberglass hood has been on for two full years with NO cracks or issues running stock lift pistons.

BigHornRam2006 03-11-2011 12:59 PM

The hood did come with the bolts installed already to bolt to the brackets on the truck, but I don't remember seeing attachments for the pistons on the hood. All I remember seeing on the hood itself was the two bolt studs to bolt to the truck.

CdnoilRAM 03-11-2011 01:05 PM

Then yours will be like mine. You'll have no issues the stock pistons since they don't bolt to the fiberglass hood.

BigHornRam2006 03-11-2011 02:12 PM

Ok, So what exactly are you using to keep your hood down? How did you install yours? All I had was the main latch keeping my hood down and the hood bolted to the brackets, no hood supports or anything.

CdnoilRAM 03-11-2011 02:30 PM

The hood supports help keep the brackets from flexing I found. The rear of my hood does rise/flutter a bit (maybe a 1/2 inch), but that can't be helped due to the nature of a ram-air hood since the air pressure over the hood is less than under it (aka lift). Does the SRT-10 hood have a cowl in it or is it just the front scoop?

BigHornRam2006 03-11-2011 03:07 PM

It has the front functional scoop. I have a picture of it in my gallery.

CdnoilRAM 03-11-2011 03:26 PM

Then you'll end up with some lift as the air can't escape from the back-side of the hood, but the stock lift pistons will help keep the rear from lifting as much at speed.

BigHornRam2006 03-11-2011 04:06 PM

What If I installed hood pins in the front to help with the main latch? How much good would that do?

CdnoilRAM 03-11-2011 04:26 PM

Where is it lifting? The front or the rear? If it's lifting in the front, you need to raise the rubber bumpers (just turn them out) that are in the top rad crossmember; this gives the hood something to sit against instead of just 'rattling' around on the main latch.