DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Washing & Waxing (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   How long before I should Wax or Claybar A new truck? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=76854)

Roman Chariot 03-12-2011 12:18 AM

How long before I should Wax or Claybar A new truck?

I just bought my first brand new vehicle. Question is; how long should I wait to wax it, and should I claybar first?

One would think that a brand new vehicle would have a well protected, clean, contaminant free finish on it already.

tjcin 03-12-2011 06:55 AM

Right Away! You probably can't be completely sure how long it sat in the lot. You probably can be sure that it made it's way to the dealer by tractor trailer, train or both. The roof of my truck had several specks of rail dust on it and upon close inspection yours will too. Wash, clay, polish and wax it today if weather permits. If you are looking for professional grade products you might want to check out www.adamspolishes.com and www.chemicalguys.com. I use some products from both of their lines and for a little extra money, the results are great.

RedRam10 03-12-2011 07:31 AM

As soon as possible is what I did, too!

Roman Chariot 03-12-2011 09:53 AM

OK will do, and I'll enjoy it!

platinuminjected 03-12-2011 01:05 PM

you can do it the day you get her or a year after it doesnt really matter but the sooner the better

Pull Ya 03-14-2011 03:18 PM

Another retailer to look at is autogeek.net. They sell to a large segment of the professional detailers. They also have a great selection of different products. Also I had my truck less than a week before I washed, clayed, polished, and waxed it. Never to soon and never to much----LOL
Jay

Leadfootluke 03-14-2011 07:32 PM

Do it all as soon as possible. Paint takes 30-90 days before solvent/silicone based cleaners, polishes, and waxes to be used. Your paint is older than that and will be fine. Be sure to clay the entire surface to remove the rail dust, as others have mentioned.

New vehicles can often have just as much contamination as 10 year old vehicles. They need to be clayed, and often polished. At the very least I would use a paint cleaner.

JHamilton 03-26-2011 12:53 AM

Yes, as these fellas have said, ASAP. I did mine two weeks after purchase. It was cold! You must claybar a new car first. You will be shocked how much rail dust you pull off these things.

jerry donihoo 03-26-2011 03:08 PM

Would have to agree with everyone,I detailed mine as soon as I got it home.The detail folks at the dealership where i bought mine is bad,when I left I couldnt help but notice my old truck was cleaner than my new one,but thats just half the fun of buying a new truck,theres nothing better than cleaning your new truck for the first time

Roman Chariot 04-02-2011 01:44 AM

4 Attachment(s)
It sure is Jerry. knocked it our yesterday. And one thing that I have learned on this forum is to post some pics or else it didn't happen. I clayed the whole truck (I thought about just stopping there because it looked so good) then prepped it for wax by taping all the black plastic pieces. That wax I used is just OK, I think that I'll save the rest of it for momma's minivan and try some of that Fukken Wax next. I finished with Westley's on the tires (don't like the shiney look) Showtime on the Clads, and Rain-X on all exterior glass.