DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (
-   2009 Dodge Ram Forum (
-   -   just got a flowmaster cat back system have a ? for u all (

ram8308 03-12-2011 09:28 PM

just got a flowmaster cat back system have a ? for u all
whats up guys to day i put a flowmaster cat back system on my ram with the 5.7 L hemi the system came with a 50 hd muffler they didnt have a cat back with the original 40 or supper 44 the system sounds pritty bad ass nice a deep but it lacks a little volume i was wondering if any one know if that muffler that came with the kit is there for a reason and if i swap it out with a 40 or 44 if it will cause a problems with the truck or computer. bc i have heard not sure if its hes a goo source or not but i was told the hemi engine needs some back pressure and if i change the muffler to something different for the kit and the truck would loose low end power what do u guys think thanks to everyone who answers that has knowlegable infor thak u

916Timmy 03-12-2011 09:40 PM

There are a bunch of "louder" mufflers on here and not one check engine light yet! :)

Get Bit 03-12-2011 09:47 PM

Swapping a muffler is not going to cause any codes or issues with your truck. Back pressure is an argument that one might have a case if you're running a 2.0L honda. You will be fine if you want more sound just by swapping out the muffler. If it was mine I would go with something other than a flowmaster, especially once you start going with the 40-44 series.. They are too raspy or tinny for my taste. I would look at a magnaflow muffler for the best sound, although this is a subjective subject.

Mattones 03-14-2011 11:19 PM

Here is my Flowmaster 40. It has a wicked rumble to it. Sounds just like a muscle car at idel. Which is what I love. Be sure to put the 4 inch tips on. They look WAY betere then factory as they fit the cut outs better.

When I first got it. It wasent broken in yet but sounds great to me.

I have more videos on my channel

JHamilton 03-15-2011 01:36 AM

It won't affect your truck, but you will defeat the purpose of a catback system. Good ones tune unwanted sound (read: drone) out of the cab. That being said, what Flowmaster think your truck should sound like and want you think it should sound like are two different things. Before you do anything, have someone drive your truck by you. I think you'll be shocked at how quiet these things are in the cab.

HemiBoy15 03-19-2011 03:03 AM

i agree with j hamilton, i bought a 50 series hd and had the shop custom make the catback system for me, first week i thought this isnt loud or throaty enough, welp needless to say had one of my friends do a couple of passes by me outside the truck and my 50 series hd is way louder than i thought! :SHOCKED: