DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.9L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Another Exhaust Mod Thread (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=77219)

tdub2112 03-15-2011 08:31 PM

Another Exhaust Mod Thread

Well. I have a buddy with a 99 Cummins, extended cab short box, loaded.

Anyway... He's going to slap an MBRP 4 inch Exhaust on his truck. Then i got the brainiac stretch of an idea that maybe....just maybe his old exhaust would fit on my current truck since i was looking at getting a three inch..

They're both short box extended cabs and both the same body style. His exhaust would be turbo back, and mine would be cat back.

So would this be even in the realm of possiblity? I want to save myself 190 bucks and all that. I'd get the exhaust for free and then install myself. sounds like a sweet deal to me if it worked.

erm 03-15-2011 08:34 PM

It should fit. You might find you need to mod and add a short length of pipe at the upstream edge as the catback piece is longer there than the turbo back systems.

tdub2112 03-16-2011 12:54 AM

Another problem my dad brought up was that having a same size header and cat, and then a bigger pipe, wouldn't that almost defeat the purpose of having a more "free flow" design. Which made sense to me. So then it's another 300 bucks and 200 for a cat. This is starting to sound like a expensive headache to me.

Anyone with technical savvy that knows if my dad is right, or just thinks he's right.

Dyno Charts? Stuff like that?

Get Bit 03-16-2011 01:12 AM

Your exhaust is only going to flow as well as your most restrictive point. So, from a "gain" standpoint, I do not thing you will net much although it is a start to a system which you can expand on in the future.

So, he is correct when it comes to the basics of having an exhaust system that flows better.

erm 03-16-2011 01:24 AM

Your flow is going to be determined by the smallest diameter point in your exhaust. If that's at the exhaust manifold outlet and the rest is bigger, I'd be concerned about loss of low end torque due to loss of backpressure.

You may be right...this might be more of a hassle than it's worth unless you add some other restriction (reducers) at the muffler.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

tdub2112 03-16-2011 03:16 PM

Okay so.... It looks like the cheapest and widest headers i can get for the truck are the Summit Racing 2.5 inch headers. Anyone have those? Heard of them? Then we already have a Walker Direct Fit cat on. So... 270 for all of that, plus the pain of putting in on ourselves. What do you guys think?

97ram2500 03-22-2011 10:17 PM

All you should need is a Y-pipe that goes from dual 2's or 2.5's down to a single 3". Shouldn't be real expensive.