DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   any tips from the CDL drivers out there? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=77445)

hemiv8dodgeram1500 03-17-2011 09:37 PM

any tips from the CDL drivers out there?

I am considering getting a CDL for my business and was wondering if anybody out there had some advice? In georgia you can get a CDL at 18 I am19 but you aren't allowed to leave the state until you are 21 :i_rolleyes:

CajunDodge 03-18-2011 05:54 AM

I'm considering this as well. I upgraded to a Chauffeur's so I'm qualified up to 10,001 GVWR but I'm curious, too since it's always something to fall back on. What are you going to be driving that would require a CDL?

- Cajun

Nimz 03-18-2011 07:53 AM

Yeah, need a little bit more info.

Company I work for has 24 gravel truck drivers and I'm the office manager over our 44 log truck drivers. Not a big fan of the DOT regulations I'm required to keep up with to say the least lol.

I know our insurance company won't let us hire a driver who hasn't had their CDL for at least 24 months. Just the nature of our business is hazardous. Those that just finished that "intense" 6 week course and think they know it all....all I can say is "HA."

CdnoilRAM 03-18-2011 08:22 AM

Do you guys have graduated levels of liscences like we do? I have my class 3, which means I can run large trucks without airbrakes. The biggest headache like Nimz said is keeping up with the DOT paperwork. I royally hate my log book and hours of service schedule, it means I get stuck in a hotel for one of my days off normally just so I can drive my work truck back to the shop to keep me under my 70hrs/7days.

Butter 03-18-2011 09:52 PM

When you take your driving test remember to use the book for your pre trip inspection, most people don't realize that you can use it and end up forgetting a few things on the check list!

sk8noregon 03-18-2011 10:26 PM

I got my Class A CDL when I was 18, and a guy I worked with took me out a few times because he pretty much knew the test course. If you can, practice backing up, and stopping then starting again on an incline. And like Butter said, you should be allowed to use your book for the pre-trip inspection. And remember the coin trick to check tread depth. Good luck !

Nimz 03-18-2011 10:28 PM

All of our CDL drivers are Class A.

Some have been hired with a Hazardous Materials Endorsement for the gravel truck side because we sometimes haul this nasty sludge that will eat through steel toe boots!

Butter 03-18-2011 11:14 PM

Don't forget to pay attention to hight restrictions on overpasses and weight limits on bridges, I got burned with the overpass. As soon as I came out the other side the guy asks me what the max hight was and the only answer I had was....higher than this truck??? I'm pretty sure I got that one wrong LOL