DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   180 degree thermostat = more mpg? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=77449)

polkat 03-17-2011 09:51 PM

180 degree thermostat = more mpg?

ok, so here's the deal, just purchased and installed the jet 180 degree thermostat and installed it. My truck before the new thermo avg 10-11 mpg city and if i am lucky 12-13 mpg highway, after the install my truck has been getting 17-18 mpg highway and 14-15 mpg city, is this typical or am i just got dumb luck? any advice please.

erm 03-17-2011 09:53 PM

A cooler running engine is a more efficient engine but that's a pretty significant gain just for a thermostat temp change.

moparmanicac 03-17-2011 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MADDOG (Post 475107)
A cooler running engine is a more efficient engine but that's a pretty significant gain just for a thermostat temp change.

Id agree w/ maddog. My guess is that your old was very bad and you just didnt know it possibly. Only thing that makes sense in my head.

RumbleRam 03-18-2011 06:41 AM

i wish those numbers where true though, lol but i plan on putting one in for the performance side of it haha, mine seems to run under half anyway tho, 4.7L come stock with like a 190-195 t-stat?

polkat 03-18-2011 02:02 PM

that's what I thought too, today is the third day with it in and the mileage has went down a little, but not as bad as it was before. I am in the Air Force and drive to work about 15-20 miles each way to get to the base and the mileage on the highway was went down to about 16-17 mpg, and driving on the base it has went down to about 14 mpg since there is a lot of stop and go driving, but heck any improvement in mpg I'm happy with. Future mods are an SCT tuner from hemifever, power wire, electric transmission line pressure booster and eventually a fastman throttle body. Only mods I have now is a airraid cai and a paper weight TB spacer. Any comments on my future mod plans would be appriciated

USAF ram 03-18-2011 03:23 PM

I drive 27 miles each way to base, mostly hwy an mine gets 19-21 on the hwy and 16-18 city. you might want to see if you can change your driving and help any. i use cruise on the hwy.

polkat 03-19-2011 05:52 PM

i do use the cruise on the highway everyday, did fail to mention that the truck has 100k on the odometer and the wind up here in north dakota kills it on the mpg's as well. your truck USAF ram is a newer truck with more HP so that the engine doesn't have to work as hard as mine to push the truck down the road, so i can see where you better milage than me. But i'm trying to fix the power issue with some future mods. thanks for the input