DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   boost fooler chip (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=77913)

95dodgeV10 03-22-2011 07:10 PM

boost fooler chip

ok iv had my 2002 cummins now for about 2 months and despite having an edge programmer and bigger injectors im now ready for more upgrades go figure. iv looked into intake parts, exhaust manifolds, and some other stuff and came across a couple different "boost foolers" which claim to increase boost by about 5 psi. anyone have any opinions on these whether theyre worth it or not? also would that combined with the programmer i already have be a serious risk to my stock turbo which on stage 5 is already making almost 30 psi or even transmission since its only rated for 450 lbs of torque (which conveniently is what a stock cummins makes)

thanks for any input

Stangshcky12 03-23-2011 12:29 AM

What kind of tuner do you have? Some already have boost foolers. Also have you done any fuel pump mods? Your only going to put out as much as your fuel pumps can
I dont reallly think boost foolers are worth it. Most guys have them only run them on the dyno/track or to blow smoke.

984wdram 03-23-2011 01:52 AM

i would get an intake and straight 4" exhaust. that will free up a lot of the airflow. and i second the fuel pump motion. get 2 different size pieces of pipe, same length, but with one larger than the other one. blow into both of them with the same strength, and see if you feel a difference. nope. same deal with the injectors. if your fuel pump is still pushin the same psi, then they do no good. replace the pump and lines and youll see a difference.

Stangshcky12 03-23-2011 01:51 PM

I second the 4" turbo back straight pipe motion haha (5" only if you plan on pushing more then 500 hp at somepoint)
You dont need anymore backpressure past your turbo

Pull Ya 03-26-2011 03:35 PM

Your stock turbo should be ok up to about 32-35 lbs of boost. You should be able to add app 90-100 hp without blowing your trans up. Anything past that you might need a larger turbo and a better trans. You didn't say if you had an auto trans or not but if it's an auto you might call Goerend Trans and talk to them about your needs. They build bullet proof trans and their customer service is second to none.
Jay

95dodgeV10 04-01-2011 07:35 PM

yes its an auto trans and im not sure which programmer it is. its an edge but i dont know specifics cause it came already installed when i bought it. all i do know about it is it only has an on/off button and an up and down button with 5 levels to choose from. and as far as intake thats a work in progress cause the previous owner removed the air box and shoved a filter right onto the inlet of the turbo, and exhaust already is a 4 inch straight pipe turbo back to behind right rear tire. as far as fuel pumps go someone rigged up a holley blue fuel pump which im not wild about cause iv heard poor reviews on holley blues which is why we replaced the one that came on the firebird we had but until i have the money to deal with it itll have to do. alot has been done to this truck already but unfortunately its alot of redneck engineering that im slowly trying to correct.