DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Exhaust (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Some more exhaust advice, hi flow cats, muffler and y pipe (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=78103)

08murderedram 03-24-2011 05:21 PM

Some more exhaust advice, hi flow cats, muffler and y pipe
 
as i stated in my last post im lookiing to change up my exhaust a bit and another option i was considering was throwin in the magnaflow hi flow cats, replacing the stock y pipe with a magnaflow on and changing from my existing 18 inch magnaflow muffler to a 14 inch one. What do u guys think about that? also how do u think the hi flow cats and magnaflow y pipe will affect the tone and volume of the sound. THanks for thehelp.

catsltd 03-27-2011 12:16 PM

The magnaflow cats and y pipe are a great idea,not sure how much work to swap out cats???.
I never had codes running them on my last hemi.
I would not change the muffler out until you here how the new exhaust sounds.
You will notice a improvemnet with these mods and it will be a bit louder as well.

08murderedram 03-28-2011 11:29 AM

thanks for the help man, i have the 18 inch now and ordered the 14 inch on monday and planned on putting it in this wkend. now i am debating on keeping the 18 inch, and jus installing new cats and y pipe and returning the 14 inch. whats your thoughts. will it be a big diff in sound adding the high flo cats and y pipe. i just dont want to put in the 14 and it be unbearably loud

dustin72 03-28-2011 12:28 PM

If you are getting the small, bullet shaped Magnaflow cats it will be quite a bit louder. Those small, high flow cats do not muffle the sound nearly as much as the stock cats do.

Roman Chariot 03-31-2011 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustin72 (Post 485138)
If you are getting the small, bullet shaped Magnaflow cats it will be quite a bit louder. Those small, high flow cats do not muffle the sound nearly as much as the stock cats do.

Anyone know for sure if those High-Flow cats will void warranty?

Has anyone discussed changing the y pipe and cats but leaving the stock muffler?

CHVYKLR 03-31-2011 09:29 AM

hi flow cats shouldn't void your warranty but I'm not so sure they'll pass emissions in every state. don't know what the smog laws are in OK.

erm 03-31-2011 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabrieldy (Post 488022)
hi flow cats shouldn't void your warranty but I'm not so sure they'll pass emissions in every state. don't know what the smog laws are in OK.

totally agree with that statement.

With the stock muffler any gains you'd get by going to a high flow cat (not really needed unless you plan on camming the engine and opening up the heads a bit) or a better Y-pipe will be negligible and defeat the purpose of installing those parts.

The aftermarket mufflers will improve flow and the longer they are, the quieter they tend to be if you are worried about noise.

erm 03-31-2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08murderedram (Post 485097)
thanks for the help man, i have the 18 inch now and ordered the 14 inch on monday and planned on putting it in this wkend. now i am debating on keeping the 18 inch, and jus installing new cats and y pipe and returning the 14 inch. whats your thoughts. will it be a big diff in sound adding the high flo cats and y pipe. i just dont want to put in the 14 and it be unbearably loud

I've heard the 14 inch and it is definitely loud to my ears but exhaust tone is so subjective. If you go with the 14 inch and not like it, you can always go back to the 18.

What I'd do is install the cats and Y-pipe, see how it sounds (it will be a bit louder and a bit deeper) and then go from there.

Roman Chariot 04-02-2011 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MADDOG (Post 488203)
totally agree with that statement.

With the stock muffler any gains you'd get by going to a high flow cat (not really needed unless you plan on camming the engine and opening up the heads a bit) or a better Y-pipe will be negligible and defeat the purpose of installing those parts.

The aftermarket mufflers will improve flow and the longer they are, the quieter they tend to be if you are worried about noise.


Good to know. Since the general census is not to expect and performance or mileage gains with a high flow muffler, I was curious if changing cats and the y pipe only could produce any gains and could cost about the same money.

chefred112 04-15-2011 02:19 AM

can you turn off mds...because with a louder exhaust setup, it's gonna sound like poop when the mds kicks in...


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger