DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Cold air intake info please (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=78198)

E220 03-25-2011 04:05 PM

Cold air intake info please

HEY GUYS I MIGHT GET A COLD AIR INTAKE FROM DODGE ,

A) WOULD THIS VOID WARRANTY

B) WHAT DOES ALL THIS MEAN
Disadvantages OF COLD AIR INTAKE

• Hydrolock - The intake opening is lower to the ground than a standard air box, and more likely to introduce water into the engine when fording streams or flooded roads. Hydrolock generally does not occur unless the filter is fully submerged in water."Bypass filters" can be purchased which prevent most water from entering the engine. Some people use hydro shields to prevent this from occurring, however hydro shields are not completely water proof if the intake tube is completely submerged in water.

erm 03-25-2011 04:09 PM

If you get it from Dodge then your warranty is intact.

Hydrolock is sucking water into the engine and cylinders. The engine cannot compress water and the engine locks up. That's gonna result in a lot of bendage in the rotating assembly, specifically the rods with associated piston and main bearing damage.

E220 03-25-2011 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MADDOG (Post 482582)
If you get it from Dodge then your warranty is intact.

Hydrolock is sucking water into the engine and cylinders. The engine cannot compress water and the engine locks up. That's gonna result in a lot of bendage in the rotating assembly, specifically the rods with associated piston and main bearing damage.

so if i get this from dodge are they going to be able to let this not happen ?

Because I was reading and it said cold air intake often causes hydrolock

916Timmy 03-25-2011 04:45 PM

Those are on honda style intakes, the ones that run under the bumper. You shouldn't have any worries of hydro lock on the Ram

E220 03-25-2011 05:33 PM

Do cold air intakes have any ill effect on the engine like working it to hard and maybe putting more drain on the truck

platinuminjected 03-25-2011 05:58 PM

there are many upon many threads on intakes so just go to the search button and try that way then you can browse alot of different threads

RedDodge 03-25-2011 10:40 PM

I don't want to be a spoil sport..but unless you have an exhaust system to compliment the CAI, your really not going to see any advantage...I know some will disagree but in reality you can get a "drop in" K&N filter and get almost the same performance advantage. You won't get that growl that a CAI will give you but the cost is about $250 less.

916Timmy 03-26-2011 12:42 AM

I am gonna disagree a little here. CAI won't add a ton of horsepower, but a drop in is almost none. So I guess not much difference. They do work well with all the other mods that support airflow! But 10-15 hp on a dyno is pretty good compared to 3-4 for a filter change.

Skillets 03-26-2011 09:52 AM

when every you say change your exhaust. do you mean headers and a different muffler, or just a different muffler?

Greg50Lt 03-26-2011 03:16 PM

My civic made power with just an intake on it. WHen I added intake header exhaust and tune I made 225whp stock the car made 180whp. Car ran high 13's with street tires.

AFter the long speel I just gave the point was that with just an itake your going to make more power. You wont see full benfits but youll see a gain. The factory intake tube has ribbs and the filter isnt as free flowing as an aftermarket one. So by changeing the intake tube to a smooth one and possibly wrapping it will help with smoother air flowing into the tb and IM and then wrapping it will bring even cooler air into the motor.