DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=164)
-   -   Installing new gauges for instrument panel (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=78358)

Ivawoody 03-27-2011 06:33 PM

Installing new gauges for instrument panel

2 Attachment(s)
I bought my '85 D150 about a week ago and the only gauge that works in the cluster is the fuel gauge. I'm no gear head (at least not yet, but hopefully will be after I refurbish this truck!) so I'm not quite sure about the install of the new after market gauge cluster I have. The guy I bought the truck off of gave me the new gauges. I've attached a couple pictures with the hopes someone could help me out. It would appear I'm missing the cable for the oil pressure. Where can I get one? And where would I attach the temp gauge/oil pressure gauges on the motor? Probably pretty elementary questions for some of you guys! Will this cluster work or would I need to buy a new one? Any and ALL help is appreciated!

RedRam10 03-27-2011 10:11 PM

Looks like all you have is the temperature probe/sender. I would look for other solutions to fix your gauges.

Ivawoody 03-27-2011 10:43 PM

I thought about calling salvage yards and the like to get the authentic gauges I'm looking for, and I've heard trying to get new gauges like the old ones are rdiculously expensive. In the end I'd just like to know the temp of my engine and my oil pressure!

brad12kx 03-28-2011 02:50 AM

The temp gauge has the probe that needs to be installed into the engine water jacket.
The voltmeter has 2 terminals for the +12v and -ground wires.
The oil pressure gauge has a tubing fitting for the copper/steel tube that needs to connect to the engine oil passage (normally a 'T' fitting is installed under the OEM oil pressure sender.)

Other than the lights, and the copper tube they come with, everything is there. These gauges normally did not come with an installation manual. :)

The tube for the oil pressure gauge can be found at just about any auto parts store. Take the gauge with you so they can line you up with the correct fitting(s). They shouldn't be very expensive. :smileup:

sapper7 03-29-2011 12:01 AM

pressure and temp (1986 D-150)

3 Attachment(s)
Awesome truck!!! Just installed a water temp and oil pressure in mine. The water temp is to the left front on top of intake manifold and the oil pressure is in the back to the left of the distributer. There should be an oil pressure light sending unit back there already. You’ll need to purchase a ¼” brass tee and an extension; use both oil switch and your new gauge because the old one also controls the choke (partly).

Ivawoody 03-29-2011 01:06 AM

Thanks for the pics! I hope this helps me out when I take on this task. I see you have an 86 D150. Do you have any pics of your truck?

sapper7 03-29-2011 02:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a few posted, mostly overviews, but if you need any pics of anything particular just let me know. :mail:

Ivawoody 03-29-2011 02:19 PM

Could you maybe post a couple of zoomed-out pics of those locations Sapper? I'm having a little problem locating these locations on my engine. Or tomorrow I could post pics of my engine and you could tell me from there. The natually aspirated engines are fairly new to me, but I'd think they'd be easier to work on! Do you need to take the air cleaner off to get to both of these areas? Thanks for the info!!

sapper7 03-29-2011 03:17 PM

Locations

2 Attachment(s)
The coolant sending unit is hiding under the A/C pump and ONLY has one wire, mine was red/yellow shown in the earlier post. The oil pressure sending unit is located towards the back of the engine to the left of the distributer and has a 3 wire plug. YOU WILL NEED TO REUSE THE SENDING UNIT. It controls the initial choke setting on the carb. Once there is oil pressure (signal) when starting the engine, the choke will use the choke temp coil but initially it needs this sending unit where the oil pressure switch is for full choke. For the oil sending unit you’ll need a 1/4” bass tee and a small extension to fit both the old oil pressure sending unit and your new gauge sending unit. The only difference in these pics- I used electrical gauges and I think you're installing mechanical but the istallation is simular.

sapper7 03-29-2011 07:30 PM

By the way, when you install the wires for illumination, I used the orange 16-18 gauge wire from the stereo wire harness; easy to find and easy to splice. Also under your dash beside the steering column there is a grounding post with multiple male receivers you can use to connect your ground to.