DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Bit the Bullet or Changed my Spark Plugs (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=78385)

BCWhite 03-27-2011 10:54 PM

Bit the Bullet or Changed my Spark Plugs

1 Attachment(s)
I was a bit nervous about it, but I bit the bullet and changed my spark plugs today. I had only changed plugs on a lawnmower and a 4 cylinder before this, or are those the same things? Anyway, I had been getting a P0301 code, cylinder 1 misfire. This was the simplest fix in my opinion and the shop wanted to charge $180 plus parts to do it. Went to Autozone and bought Champion Copper Plus and got a 10% military discount. It was alot easier than I thought it would be, took me a little over an hour mostly due to the back plugs and me maneuvering around cables wires etc. The culprit was plug number one. Attached pic. The rest looked normal to me, but I changed all of them. Put a little antiseize in the recommended spots and put it all back together. A VERY noticeable difference in power on my test drive. No more sputtering or hesitation and no more check engine light.

platinuminjected 03-27-2011 11:27 PM

thats sweet dude that you fixed ur problem and see it wasnt that hard and a excellent learning experience:)

RumbleRam 03-27-2011 11:33 PM

yeah, looks like that plug had a little water on it, but other than that normal wear. it's not too hard change plugs on the 4.7L 02-07 that is

BCWhite 03-27-2011 11:38 PM

The only ones that were difficult were the two rear ones on each side. Other than that it was simple and a confidence booster. Use compressed air to blow everything out before and after including a few dead bees. Guess they like the warmth. Took the time to secure some wiring and checked all the fluids too since I'll be driving home to Mississippi on Tues.

RumbleRam 03-28-2011 12:16 AM

yeah, once you get used taking the rear plugs out it becomes pretty easy lol, espically when you've pulled the motor out...everything becomes easy lol

southpaw5m 03-28-2011 01:27 AM

I took me forever the first and only time I did my own, even standing in the engine due to all the space from putting in a electric fan. The back ones by far the hardest, congrats on the switch

05atlanticblue 03-28-2011 01:46 AM

that plug has seen better days, but it seems to have worn out nicely.

from reading the posts, i guess im lucky with my truck. i'm 6'7" so reaching for the back plugs isn't an issue. just need to watch the weight so i can still sneak under the truck without a jack...

hemiv8dodgeram1500 03-28-2011 01:50 AM

congratulations I am still to afraid to try to do my own :LOL:

appstatexj 03-29-2011 11:15 PM

:smileup: Nice job man, congrats! Feels good to fix you own stuff doesn't it?