DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Jokes/Humor (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   crazy dealers and financing (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=78809)

jc4041 04-01-2011 06:16 AM

crazy dealers and financing

It was funny at the time...and it still cracks me up to this day!

March '10 I wasn't really looking for a new truck, but with me driving a Durango and the wife driving a Magnum, I was "kind of" looking to get back into a truck since I got my dad's boat and 4wheeler when he passed away and I really didn't have a way to haul both at the same time. So the wife and I went the Dodge dealer close to base for laughs. Well the they had an '02 Ram with "decent" miles on it, as we were looking at the and listening to it run, the RPMs started slowly dropping until it died....told the salesmen "good luck with that one!"

Wife noticed a nice looking Blue QC Cummins up front so she wanted to look at it....'06 with 40k miles on it (we had seen it on the website) sticker showed 34k, BUT the internet ad had it listed for 27k (big mess up). Well we started the paperwork on it and the salesmen said the total will be about 36k with TTL...I asked "wait, the price is 27k on the web" he got all butt hurt when I showed him on HIS site. "The internet sales guy messed up, he should have only taken 2k off of it, not 7k"....not my problem

Well they redid the paperwork at the "proper" price and we drove the truck home.....had it for a week and got "the call"...."Sorry, we can't get you financed on this truck, but we have this '08 we can try to put you in." Ok I'll play your game. Went and looked at this one, drove it out of the lot and I could feel the power steering going out and the TPS was on. Wife was pissed at this point, but it was whatever....they could have a new pump in a couple days.

So we left and she said "lets go downtown"...pulled into the GMC dealer and there was this immaculate '09 4wd Hemi ST with almost 12k miles....sticker was 31k, told the wife not to get her hopes up.

Wouldn't you know it, 3 hours later we drove off the lot with our brand new Dodge Ram, they didn't care about the trade ins, we told them what the Dodge place was going to give us for them and they put those numbers in sight unseen. So we went back to the other dealer to get our Durango and Magnum to take to the GMC place, the Dodge place actually tried to tell us that we couldn't take them because we had a "signed contract" with them. Well that was kind of true, but the financing was still "in work" with the POS '08 they were trying to get us in. Needless to say we got them and took them back to the GMC place. :LOL:

While I would have LOVED to have kept the Cummins (even though I know in my heart I would have never owned anything big enough to pull with it lol) I can say that I am VERY VERY pleased with my '09, even if it's just a base model....with a Hemi :smiley_thumbs_up:

It just amazes me what lengths some people will go to for business!

Anyway...thought I would share my little "joke of a dealership" experience. lol

RedRam10 04-01-2011 10:59 AM

It's great that you won at the stealerships cost. :smileup:

Excoastie 04-01-2011 01:45 PM

excellent! way to go. I love to hear about the dealers not getting the final word

Exco

hotkarl 04-02-2011 08:32 PM

They tried to get me too. The tried and true surprise difference in actual numbers verse the agreed upon numbers. Oldest trick in the book. They basically hold you at gunpoint in the F&I office when you are about to sign and pick up your brand new vehicle. And then tell you the only way to get the numbers down is to buy an extended warranty and VIN etching.
After some heated back and forth last minute negotiating after I started to walk out, we came to an agreement that while I was not happy with, I was willing to accept on behalf of my love and desire for this truck. (And the fact that I sold my car the day before and would be without transportation, Ha!).

Anyway, I zing them on the QC survey, they find out and go bonkers. Whatever.
Then, after going over the paperwork with a microscope, I found just short of a $300 discrepancy in their favor. Basically, they tried to squeeze a few hundred more bucks out of me hoping I wouldn't notice. Now I gotta approach them about this after they are already super pissed off at me. I want my $300 bucks. There is literally almost $300 that vanished into thin air. Which btw, is another trick. After you call them out on it, they will just bluff it off as a simple, plain old fashioned math error, and most likely will get your money back.

This is the last time I buy from a dealership. Next time I'll stick with used, private seller, and go with my gut. I've got one hell of a track record as far as buying really good used cars.

erm 04-02-2011 08:34 PM

Great story. Gotta love how folks try to make money these days.... LOL

jc4041 04-02-2011 08:38 PM

yeah we ended up going back to the same GMC place I got my truck and got my wifes Charger...like I said in my post...I would have loved to have kept that Cummins...but I know for a fact that I would never own anything heavy enough to actually use it's full potential. lol

Toms Blue Ram 1500 04-03-2011 01:56 PM

Great storys everyone .

TWFLA 12-19-2011 06:00 PM

A simple financing trick I use is that I get pre-approved by my bank (a Credit Union actually) and do not tell the salesman until the very last minute. This way I always negotiate the out the door figure instead of the payments. I have done this with 2 other vehicles and I always get a better deal than their able to give and I get a better interest rate at the CU anyway. Negotiating monthly payments is how they get you. I know I used to sell cars at a dealership and this was always the preferred way for them.