DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Towing (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Suspension helpers (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=79227)

Wildcat 04-05-2011 11:07 AM

Suspension helpers

Okay, so I am tired of the squat in my truck when I have it loaded with 800 or so pounds in the bed, let alone when I add a trailer. So, I am looking at helper options.

I have been recommended the Timbren spacers, but I wonder if that will create added stress on the axle tubes, since they will be adding pressure any time the truck compresses the light duty portion of the springs.

The second option I have considered is an air bag system. I like this option, because I could add a compressor and tank on the truck which would come in handy for numerous things. However, I am not sure how they work with the coil springs. I have seen them on leaf springs, and they sit between the spring pack and the frame. The ones I have seen for coils go inside the coil, and I would be afraid of them binding up in there.

Anyone have any thoughts on which way I should go?

Thanks in advance.

dirtrider29 04-05-2011 11:18 AM

I would go with the air bag set up I don't have them but a lot of other people on the site do and they seem very happy with the set up

brad12kx 04-06-2011 09:28 AM

The air bags work great with the coil springs, so don't worry about that. I just find they are a bit expensive, and have a compressor that will require maintenance at some point.

I went with the Timbren SES system, and am very pleased. My truck normally is pulling about 6200lbs of trailer, and sits on the SES. I have not noticed any issues, but rather have noticed how nice the ride is when on the SES. It is not as rigid as it might appear. Gives more the feeling of 3/4 ton suspension.....firm, but flexible.

Benefits -
Airbag - adjustable
SES - Inexpensive and easy to install

Both are great choices IMO. :smileup:

Wildcat 04-07-2011 04:40 PM

These are the Air Bags I was thinking about, and they are way less than the $200 or so for the Timbrens. I have the compressor at home, but if I wanted to go with OBA, which I do, the price will easily be more after $400 or so for the OBA.

pieece 04-07-2011 06:52 PM

Why not air shocks? I know they are hard to find. Kind of the same setup as air ride...

Look into it, it might be a better route for you.

libertyfiremedic 04-12-2011 11:05 PM

Airlift makes a system we just put in a dodge. He towed with it this weekend and said it worked great. It's also pretty inexpensive.... MSRP on the website is around $127. Then you can add your compressor.

Wildcat 04-13-2011 10:08 AM

Thanks for the positive feedback. That is the one I was looking at. I found it for like $90 on the web.

I notice that you appear to be an EMT in Liberty. Not sure how to go about it, but there is a group on here of first responders you should look into joining.

blue09 04-13-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by libertyfiremedic (Post 499274)
Airlift makes a system we just put in a dodge. He towed with it this weekend and said it worked great. It's also pretty inexpensive.... MSRP on the website is around $127. Then you can add your compressor.

I have the airlift system. It works great, put it in myself and it was easy. I would reccommend this kit to anyone.

jonnyriabov 04-15-2011 06:31 PM

leveling kit and Airlift System

Does anyone know if the Airlift system will still work on trucks that have the rear spring spacer that comes with leveling kits. Im wondering if the upper spacer and retaining bolt are where the airline is supposed to go.

Jonny

CHVYKLR 04-20-2011 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildcat (Post 492737)
The ones I have seen for coils go inside the coil, and I would be afraid of them binding up in there.

the bags are more rigid/stiffer than you think and I wouldn't worry about them binding up especially if you keep them at the recommended min psi (3-5 I think).