DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Cummins Diesel Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=174)
-   -   Steering shake (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=79270)

CloneSaw 04-05-2011 07:24 PM

Steering shake

Guys:

Whenever I go over a moderate bump at a higher speed my truck starts to shake out of control. It has became worse over the past few weeks. When ever i slow down it stops and doesn't really act up until i hit another bump. Any thoughts on what to look for/replace?

Toms Blue Ram 1500 04-05-2011 09:04 PM

Sounds like theres something worn out in the front end . Possible track bar , tie rod end etc....

wbodine 06-03-2011 06:58 AM

I also am a member of TDR (Turbo Diesel Registery ) you need to check out the web site and search ( Death Wobble ) the site is tdr1.com....Lots of parts to start replacing.

svetlecic 06-06-2011 09:46 PM

What you are describing is what we like to call the death wobble. Their are many different opinions on what causes it. Usually it is caused by a worn steering stabilizer. But just replacing it with a new stock one is not going to last you very long. I would advise you to purchase a dual steering stabilizer kit from skyjacker or superlift. Its actually cheaper to buy the kit than it is to buy a singal mopar shock. It will take care of all your problems. Also if your steering linkage has not been updated to the newer heavy duty style you might want to check with your local dealer.

Muddbog 06-11-2011 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svetlecic (Post 542211)
What you are describing is what we like to call the death wobble. Their are many different opinions on what causes it. Usually it is caused by a worn steering stabilizer. But just replacing it with a new stock one is not going to last you very long. I would advise you to purchase a dual steering stabilizer kit from skyjacker or superlift. Its actually cheaper to buy the kit than it is to buy a singal mopar shock. It will take care of all your problems. Also if your steering linkage has not been updated to the newer heavy duty style you might want to check with your local dealer.

I have the same thing... DWdiesel.com sells a stabilizer for the gear box... but I am looking for a Heavy Duty steering linkage as you said. I carry a 8.5' western v-plow

neanderpaul67 08-08-2014 07:04 PM

Had death wobble on my 2000 after front=end damage caused by a drunk driver...while the truck was parked! Found that the newly=replaced track bar and left hub bearings were bad. Replaced the track bar with a Synergy replacement & update kit, along with changing bearings. Vast Improvement! No more death wobble!

the persuader 08-09-2014 08:46 PM

Could be lots of things. Trackbar, misalignment, bushings, ball joints, or a combination. My buddy even had bad death wobble with some worn out tires and when he changed tires, no more death wobble. Get up under there and have someone turn the wheel whily you look for play.