DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2010 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   LED head lights vs LED tail lights? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=79307)

Ray 04-06-2011 02:08 AM

LED head lights vs LED tail lights?

I noticed that some people had problems after doing a HID head light install with shorts,flashing, etc. It seems like these problems aren't an issue with LED tail light installs. I was curious to know if I am safer going with a tail light set(recon) and is there less problems or am I just reading things wrong. Are the tail lights plug and play and dont require relays and other adaptors?

RedRam10 04-06-2011 02:25 AM

I think that they are two different things. The LED bulbs are typically a low voltage light source versus the HID headlamp that are usually a 35 or 55 watt light source. So the taillights are typically plug and play so to speak.

Ray 04-06-2011 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRam10 (Post 493425)
I think that they are two different things. The LED bulbs are typically a low voltage light source versus the HID headlamp that are usually a 35 or 55 watt light source. So the taillights are typically plug and play so to speak.

thats what I was thinking. I just want to aviod any type of wiring fiasco with shorts and frying everything else. I do want to do some lighting mods so I think I will leave the head lights and go with the recon tail lights and 3rd brake light. Do you think I would have any problems keeping my factory fogs and just upgrading to a brighter bulb

libertyfiremedic 04-06-2011 08:30 AM

The Recon tail lights have the resistors built into them... that is why you don't see the typical problems that people have with the HID's... Now if you were to simply change out the factory bulbs in the tail lights with LED bulbs... you would then have the "Issues" and need to add the resistors on each lead....

RedRam10 04-06-2011 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 493430)
thats what I was thinking. I just want to aviod any type of wiring fiasco with shorts and frying everything else. I do want to do some lighting mods so I think I will leave the head lights and go with the recon tail lights and 3rd brake light. Do you think I would have any problems keeping my factory fogs and just upgrading to a brighter bulb

I'm going with Piaa's or SilverStar Ultras.

Ray 04-06-2011 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRam10 (Post 493482)
I'm going with Piaa's or SilverStar Ultras.

Are you going with those for the fogs and is that just bulbs your replacing or the entire fog light itself

Ray 04-07-2011 09:27 PM

Has anybody tried just doing a nice head light bulb upgrade instead of doing a complete assembly swAp out. I was looking online at some recon and putco bulbs for 20 bucks a pop and didn't think you can go wrong for that price if you were looking for a simple upgrade for brighter head lights. I don't know of anybody that has done this and was looking for some feed back.

erm 04-07-2011 09:29 PM

Yeah, you are talking two completely different systems here.

I upgraded my stock bulbs to Sylvania Ultra Stars and was pleasantly surprised. PIAA is another brand to look at. I've tried Putco's and was NOT happy.

Ray 04-08-2011 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MADDOG (Post 494941)
Yeah, you are talking two completely different systems here.

I upgraded my stock bulbs to Sylvania Ultra Stars and was pleasantly surprised. PIAA is another brand to look at. I've tried Putco's and was NOT happy.

I think I am going to go the bulb route instead of doing the HID system. Did you have any issues when you swapped out the bulbs and was it just as simple as changing the bulbs or was there other parts needed?

kewlguy53403 06-13-2011 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 494936)
Has anybody tried just doing a nice head light bulb upgrade instead of doing a complete assembly swAp out. I was looking online at some recon and putco bulbs for 20 bucks a pop and didn't think you can go wrong for that price if you were looking for a simple upgrade for brighter head lights. I don't know of anybody that has done this and was looking for some feed back.

I have but not on a RAM. I did a 100% swap on my Xterra. Simple as heck (if I can do it anyone can!). You just need a resistor for blinkers. On my X the front and rears on the same side were tied to each other so 1 single resistor covered both (ie I only needed 2 instead of 4). I'm not sure about the RAM.