DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=203)
-   -   Wheel Bearing Asm (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=79532)

Ram Pants 04-08-2011 06:44 PM

Wheel Bearing Asm

I heard/felt some grinding coming from my front driver side wheel as I was turning right and pulling out of the parking lot today. If I'm not mistaken it seems very similar to a failing wheel bearing. I'll be a little shocked that this is happening so quickly. I searched google and replacement parts barely come up so my condition seems like it might be isolated. I have just over 19k miles and bought the truck first week of January this year with 16k from my local dodge dealer. Whatever the issue its very faint as the it only did the grinding noise upon initial movement. I guess I'll take it in and see what the dealer says but my guess is they'll tell me its fine. My previous vehicle had a similar issue but those were a known problem and they typically failed every 40k.
Anyway just checking if anyone else has experienced bearing issues yet.

rtkman 04-08-2011 09:23 PM

Bearings dont' usually make noise at low speeds. My guess would be a CVT joint.

RAMERHAMMER 04-08-2011 09:34 PM

it would be your wheel bearing mine did the same thing and only gets worse over time louder and harder get it fixed quick because mine ended up in the long run being double because it affected other things!! wheel bearing definately though!!

rick980 04-09-2011 12:30 AM

can you say warranty? maybe.....I know that my extended covers that.

Ram Pants 04-09-2011 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick980 (Post 495854)
can you say warranty? maybe.....I know that my extended covers that.

Yeah you are correct. I will have to check my warranty and owners manual. I guess, I assumed that these items are covered. I know that anything considered a wear item is not. I guess it could be considered a wear item. Its going to the dealer today anyhow for basic service so I guess I'll find out.

mbehlok 04-09-2011 10:43 AM

My 07 did the same. both fronts were bad so they replaced them both under my "Extended" Warranty..

These trucks do not have the old school bearings, they have complete hubs that will need to be replaced. Local parts store had them for around $200 each. Dealer replaced both for me under my $100 deductable..

The noise will get louder and more annoying.. If you let it go too far, I would worry that the bearing will totally fail and cause more damage, if not an accident..

Ram Pants 04-10-2011 12:38 PM

I figured as much and I am now more convinced that its the driver side hub/bearing asm. I have changed these before on a different vehicle. But the reminder that they are usually around $200/ea and should be replaced in pairs makes me more motivated to get this replaced under warranty.
Now let me tell you why the dealer I use gives me no confidence that they can actually handle this. The truck was taken in for service yesterday for maintenance (oil change and tire rotation) I mention that I would like them to look at the driver side wheel for possible bearing issue. I come to pick up the truck 2hrs later. No, tire rotation and no trouble found on the wheel bearing. What gives? They can't take my wheels off because they don't have the key to the locking lug nuts. My truck was a turn in and previous owner apparently did not leave it in the truck. They told me that if I want the tire rotation, that I need to make an appointment. What a bunch of f#%^in A$$ clowns. No answer for what I would have to do if I got flat. They don't have a master key and informed they could not order from Mopar. Really? I found them online and will be ordering a replacement.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 04-10-2011 12:58 PM

It depends on what type of locks are on the truck . And no there is no master key . Some locks have different key codes . Oh I'm sure they could of got them off . I have a kit that removes wheel locks and hubcap locks . But would the customer want to pay to have them removed and damage and probably ruin the locks ?

Ram Pants 04-10-2011 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toms Blue Ram 1500 (Post 496904)
It depends on what type of locks are on the truck . And no there is no master key . Some locks have different key codes . Oh I'm sure they could of got them off . I have a kit that removes wheel locks and hubcap locks . But would the customer want to pay to have them removed and damage and probably ruin the locks ?

Actually, since I have no way to change or remove the wheels, we agreed that they would remove them. I assumed they would a master key because that's what the sales manager mentioned. But they could have use an extraction tool or grinder to get a socket on it or something. I had agreed to pay them upfront for the tire rotation and did not care if they busted the locks off. As it is now, I am SOL if I get a flat. But the part that gets me is that this could not have been the first time nor will this be the last time this will happen. Oh well, I guess that both sides were unprepared for it. So, my wheel bearing repair will have to wait until it gets worse.

Studbuster 04-15-2011 10:09 PM

I would think Dodge would have a lock nut ID number on file by your Vin number. The lock number for mine was listed with my papers when I bought my truck. (I would assume you have checked at your jack and your lug wrench pack For the key)

My 09 (2 wd) had a vibration in the steering wheel, they replaced both front wheel bearings before 8K.