DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   2005 Ram 1500 4X4 leveling kit and shock suggestions (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=79574)

atvman 04-09-2011 08:42 AM

2005 Ram 1500 4X4 leveling kit and shock suggestions

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 that I want to level. I'd also like to match the kit with a decent set of aftermarket shocks. Does anybody here have any suggestions?

RedRam10 04-09-2011 01:01 PM

Not sure but I've read about the Bilstein 5100 alot. I plan on using them on my truck as soon as I can afford them. (Got to get the Lady who owns my check-book to approve.) :smileup:

nYmPhMoBiLe08 04-09-2011 01:57 PM

I have the Bilstein 5100 adjustable front shocks on order right now and have heard lots of good things about them! A leveling spacer will stiffen the hell outta your ride and most of em wont give you a true level. I also plan on getting the Monroe Sensa-tracs for the rear in the near future! They are supposed to raise the rear about an inch and make a huge difference when towing heavy loads! If you arent big on offroading and just want a really comfortable ride then go with the monroes up front! Good luck with whatever you choose and be sure to post pics!!!

ScatPak07 04-09-2011 11:24 PM

Ya those shocks would be an awesome choice.....if you could use them haha. Your truck is a 2005 so you have torsion bars rather then the coils up front. This is a good thing since you dont even need a leveling kit. You can crank your torsion bars up to raise the truck up. If you go too high then you will scrifice the ride quality so dont go higher then 2-2.5".

As for shocks I would say the Bilstein HDs would be a good choice. they are not too expensive and they have the same technology as the Bilstein 5100s. I had those shocks all around and I liked them a lot. They do stiffen up the ride a bit but it makes the ride better. The road doesnt feel so harsh since they soak it up very well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nYmPhMoBiLe08 (Post 496118)
I have the Bilstein 5100 adjustable front shocks on order right now and have heard lots of good things about them! A leveling spacer will stiffen the hell outta your ride and most of em wont give you a true level. I also plan on getting the Monroe Sensa-tracs for the rear in the near future! They are supposed to raise the rear about an inch and make a huge difference when towing heavy loads! If you arent big on offroading and just want a really comfortable ride then go with the monroes up front! Good luck with whatever you choose and be sure to post pics!!!

Are you sure the Monroe shocks will raise the rear end of the truck? Usually shocks do not raise the vehicle. In the Bilstein 5100s case they actually raise the spring seat for the front coils which raises the truck. The shocks themselves do not do anything. SO the Monroe shocks will not be raising anything really, you will just have stiff shocks in the rear. I believe the only way to raise the rear would be to either add a block or leafs. I am not too sure about this since i have never seen it before. I rear on it and I did not see it say anything about raising the truck. That would be the first thing they would say since they know people would buy that right away.

nYmPhMoBiLe08 04-10-2011 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScatPak07 (Post 496510)
Ya those shocks would be an awesome choice.....if you could use them haha. Your truck is a 2005 so you have torsion bars rather then the coils up front. This is a good thing since you dont even need a leveling kit. You can crank your torsion bars up to raise the truck up. If you go too high then you will scrifice the ride quality so dont go higher then 2-2.5".

As for shocks I would say the Bilstein HDs would be a good choice. they are not too expensive and they have the same technology as the Bilstein 5100s. I had those shocks all around and I liked them a lot. They do stiffen up the ride a bit but it makes the ride better. The road doesnt feel so harsh since they soak it up very well.

Are you sure the Monroe shocks will raise the rear end of the truck? Usually shocks do not raise the vehicle. In the Bilstein 5100s case they actually raise the spring seat for the front coils which raises the truck. The shocks themselves do not do anything. SO the Monroe shocks will not be raising anything really, you will just have stiff shocks in the rear. I believe the only way to raise the rear would be to either add a block or leafs. I am not too sure about this since i have never seen it before. I rear on it and I did not see it say anything about raising the truck. That would be the first thing they would say since they know people would buy that right away.

They are the sensa trac coil overs and ive read a few posts claiming at lest an inch of lift...

nYmPhMoBiLe08 04-10-2011 12:50 AM

Read post #7
http://www.**************/forums/sho...ocks+coilovers

nYmPhMoBiLe08 04-10-2011 12:51 AM

Nevermind link wont work ^^^

nYmPhMoBiLe08 04-10-2011 12:52 AM

Here is what a guy said that installed them and he isnt the only one to state this...

So, I replaced all 4 shocks with Monroe's. Couldnt be happier! Turns out the front passenger shock grommet was cracked allowing the the shock absorber threads to hit the shock mount thus causing my noises. The shocks were still good (as good as OEM can be). But man what a night and day difference in ride. I can take corners now with a little bit of speed and not feel like the truck is going to roll. I installed the coilovers on the rear end and it raised it up about 1/2"to 1" and firmed up the ride some.

Torq89 04-11-2011 11:57 AM

I replaced my shocks with Rancho's when I put my leveling kit on. They ride a lot better than stock and have a lifetime warranty.

atvman 04-15-2011 04:39 PM

Will I need longer than stock shocks?