DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Do I need an alignment now? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=80001)

bones06 04-14-2011 08:20 AM

Do I need an alignment now?

Two weeks ago the dealership replaced my lower control arm and did an alignment on the truck afterwards. Yesterday I put the new wheels and tires on and wondered if I have to get another alignment done? The truck goes straight and the wheel is straight so I'm hoping I don't have to, but I also don't want to ruin the new tires.

jcasey10 04-14-2011 06:01 PM

Hm, I wouldn't think you would need one. But, it wouldn't really hurt to get one. With bigger tires it may have changed it just a bit. I wouldn't wanna be wearing down those tires wrong because they're damn expensive!

RedRam10 04-14-2011 06:01 PM

Did you change rim size or go for a wider tire? I've always heard to do an alignment when making these changes as there could be minor differences in how the new parts sit. An alignment is less costly than having to buy tires early because of bad wear.

jcasey10 04-14-2011 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRam10 (Post 500571)
Did you change rim size or go for a wider tire? I've always heard to do an alignment when making these changes as there could be minor differences in how the new parts sit. An alignment is less costly than having to buy tires early because of bad wear.

X2 :smileup::smileup:

bones06 04-15-2011 07:45 AM

I went from the stock 20's to 17's, and went with wider tires too. I am just going to have them recheck it today when I drop it for the oil change. I agree its not worth risking 4 expensive tires for a $65.00 alignment lol!

sinned 04-16-2011 05:06 PM

Changing wheels and tires cannot in any capacity have any effect on your wheel alignment. On my hot rods, I always used to align them with junker wheels so as not to chance scratching the wheels on the bling-bling rims.

You are fine ASSuming the dealership did a proper alignment.

stuckinmud 04-16-2011 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinned (Post 502375)
Changing wheels and tires cannot in any capacity have any effect on your wheel alignment. On my hot rods, I always used to align them with junker wheels so as not to chance scratching the wheels on the bling-bling rims.

^agree^ i tell my customers to take off their custom wheels for an alignment so i dont have any chance of scratching a wheel

erm 04-16-2011 05:13 PM

I would definitely check it but I don't think you will need one.

If you had done a lift or a leveling kit where the suspension geometry will be altered, then Yes you would.

bones06 04-18-2011 08:39 AM

Thanks guys thats what I was hoping to hear!

HEMILANCER 04-23-2011 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinned (Post 502375)

I disagree with you i have noticed a huge difference in mainly the camber settings when changing to a wider wheel/tire. the alignment heads bolt to the outside of the rim so when u measure camber further inboard with the original wheels, the further you go past that point the more exaggerated the measurement becomes. of course if it's zero it will stay that way. If you go the other way to a slimmer tire you don't need an alignment.