DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Mod questions (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=80238)

Blue06ram 04-16-2011 10:07 PM

Mod questions

Im new to the forum and was just wondering what to get.... I know my truck has a lift, aftermarket intake, 4 inch exhaust and that's it I believe... What should I do next? I'm new to the diesels so any help is appreciated.

stuckinmud 04-16-2011 10:11 PM

i hear reprogramming the pcm is a good upgrade

erm 04-16-2011 10:16 PM

True...a tuner, such as the Banks Six Gun, would be a good addition.

Our new diesel forum, dieselforums.com, has a lot of good info to check out!

Phillies3500 04-16-2011 10:30 PM

diablo sport programmer 270 at xdp.com cant beat the price for the amount of power u get

Srt cummins 04-16-2011 11:47 PM

ok be real with yourself what are your plans with the truck? do you have an auto or stick?

Blue06ram 04-17-2011 12:11 AM

Honestly the truck is an everyday driver... I haul my Rzr and things like that on trips about every weekend... I don't do any heavy pulling....I really don't know what I want to do... This is all new to me...

stuckinmud 04-17-2011 12:15 AM

i have talked to people running these types of programmers and they tell me that their fuel milage improved aswell as a horsepower gain

Srt cummins 04-17-2011 12:51 AM

i would buy a smarty you can tune it to a low setting and be safe. cause i bet with your age and you getting power you will get the bug. just be ready to buy a transmission if you have an auto

rsg1963 04-17-2011 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue06ram (Post 502552)
Im new to the forum and was just wondering what to get.... I know my truck has a lift, aftermarket intake, 4 inch exhaust and that's it I believe... What should I do next? I'm new to the diesels so any help is appreciated.

If the truck is new to you, give it a few months to get the feel for it otherwise any mods will not be as noticable IMHO.
4" exhaust is factory BTW for that year, mine is the same. I added a PacBrake, Banks after-cat Monster exhaust, Banks CAI, Banks Moster RAM intake. No tuner yet. I'd say the tuner is where you should start if you really aren't towing anything yet (a Rzr does not count, too small! ;-)) All the adds I did were for towing my 40' Toy hauler @ 18K empty and around 22K loaded. The mods yeilded me maybe .5-1 MPG gain, but significantly more pulling power (torque) which is what I need.
Get a respectable tuner and keep it within safe limits and you'll have a blast.

Stangshcky12 04-17-2011 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsg1963 (Post 503448)
If the truck is new to you, give it a few months to get the feel for it otherwise any mods will not be as noticable IMHO.
4" exhaust is factory BTW for that year, mine is the same. I added a PacBrake, Banks after-cat Monster exhaust, Banks CAI, Banks Moster RAM intake. No tuner yet. I'd say the tuner is where you should start if you really aren't towing anything yet (a Rzr does not count, too small! ;-)) All the adds I did were for towing my 40' Toy hauler @ 18K empty and around 22K loaded. The mods yeilded me maybe .5-1 MPG gain, but significantly more pulling power (torque) which is what I need.
Get a respectable tuner and keep it within safe limits and you'll have a blast.

Empty your still over towing capacity.

Diablo's are really nice programers but something like a smarty are nice to have so you can adjust your tune on the fly plus it'll save you from buying boost/pyro/etc gauges