DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Question for SRT-10 rims owners......Help needed with rubbing (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=80373)

xopt1js 04-18-2011 01:34 PM

Question for SRT-10 rim owners......Help needed with rubbing

OK, so I did a test fitment with my new wheels a few weeks back and found that there was major rubbing. No problem........ordered a set of 1/4" spacers.

Got the spacers last week and installed the rims/tires on the weekend. Got a small problem though............seems as though the drivers side front MIGHT be rubbing while the passenger side has enough clearance and no rubbing. :4-dontknow:

Now I am not 100% sure that there is rubbing. How do you guys tell? Can you feel it? Hear it? I am pretty sure I rub a little at full lock which is no big deal, but am concerned about rubbing during normal driving.

Seems weird that the 2 sides seem to be different but maybe it's just me being paranoid. I have not gotten an alignment done yet so maybe that will fix it? Perhaps I need to level the truck?

Anyone else encounter this issue? My setup is below so anyone with similar specs please provide your experiences. Thanks in advance. :smileup:

2010 1500 Laramie
Stock Suspension (No lift or level)
1/4" spacers
20" SRT-10 Replicas
305-50-20 Goodyear Eagle GT2
No alignment done yet

RedRam10 04-19-2011 12:31 AM

Look at the tire inside edge for any sign of wear. You can add a leveling kit which I've seen recommended for the size tire you've gone with.

xopt1js 04-19-2011 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRam10 (Post 504622)
Look at the tire inside edge for any sign of wear. You can add a leveling kit which I've seen recommended for the size tire you've gone with.

There is a slight amount of wear, the problem is that I can't determine if it's from the full lock rub or constant rub. Guess I will have to monitor and see if it gets worse. :4-dontknow:

As for the leveling kit, I have heard that it will help as well. Just wondering though, if the rubbing is coming from the upper control arm, will a leveling kit actually change the positioning or angle of the upper control arm so it's not rubbing?

FDBDW 04-19-2011 07:04 PM

There is a little square pocket that sticks out inside the wheel well directly behind the tire about half way up on the drivers side. I think there is an electrical box behind it, anyway thats were mine rubbed on full lock prior to the level kit. Turn it to full left turn lock then shut the truck off so the stearing wheel will lock in place then get out and look. I would also suggest taking a close look at all the surrounding parts , rub marks are usually pretty obvious . Finally I would suggest a level or lift cause if its that close its gonna be even closer under driving conditions when your hitting bumps or driveways.

xopt1js 04-19-2011 07:20 PM

Got out and had a look today and sure enough there is some serious rubbing. :smiledown:

So what are my options? Will a level fix this? Bigger spacers?

wermbang 04-19-2011 07:33 PM

How close? a leveling kit may help

xopt1js 04-19-2011 07:35 PM

Not sure, I think it may only be at half to full lock.

Would you be able to explain to me how a level with help? Doesn't it just raise the front end? Won't the upper control arm stay at the same spot?

FDBDW 04-19-2011 07:51 PM

Correct me if Im wrong but your 305/50/20 are 32" tall which is an inch shorter than stock but they are 12" wide vs. stock 10.82" wide , so it looks like the width is the problem. So you need to figure out if lifting the truck will alow the tire to clear whatever its rubbing. Maybe jack it up a couple inches and see if it clears, Ive never used spacers so I dont have any input on those. Either way I would suggest taking it to a 4 wheel shop or a good tire shop and get their opinion.

xopt1js 04-19-2011 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FDBDW (Post 505139)
Correct me if Im wrong but your 305/50/20 are 32" tall which is an inch shorter than stock but they are 12" wide vs. stock 10.82" wide , so it looks like the width is the problem. So you need to figure out if lifting the truck will alow the tire to clear whatever its rubbing. Maybe jack it up a couple inches and see if it clears, Ive never used spacers so I dont have any input on those. Either way I would suggest taking it to a 4 wheel shop or a good tire shop and get their opinion.

Width is definitely the issue as you stated due to the wider 12 or 12.5" tire.

Now that you mention it, when I put them on while the truck was jacked, the tire would spin freely with no rubbing.

Does a level actually change the location or angle of the upper control arm?

BTW, I appreciate your responses as I am new to the lifting world. :smileup:

Stangshcky12 04-19-2011 08:33 PM

Well first I'm guessing your rubbing on the control arm?

half to full lock seems like a lot to me. A leveling spacer might adjust the control arm enough to get it out of the way of the tire.

You could try a wider spacer but make sure you feel comfortable with how many threads you have left when you bolt the wheel back on
Maybe look into a wheel adapter if the wheel is rubbing that much