DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Need some help (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=80470)

proudpapa 04-19-2011 03:57 PM

Need some help

Just got my 2011 Outdoorsman last night and I am looking at putting a set of XD Spys on it. The problem I have is I am not sure what size to go with. They have them in a 17x8 and a 17x9, the 17x8's have a 5.21 backspacing and 18mm offset, how far will those stick out? The 17x9's have a 4.53 backspacing and -12mm offset, same question how far will these stick out? I have a 275/70/17 on there but will be putting a set of 285/70/17 BFG AT's on there. Does anybody have any pics of wheels with these backspacing's and offset's? Sorry for all the questions

proudpapa 04-19-2011 04:03 PM

Meant to post this in the tire and wheel section, sorry

ScatPak07 04-20-2011 08:37 PM

I would say the 17x9 since the wider wheels are better in my opinion. The -12mm offset will bring the tires out. The stock rims (I know 20" rims not 17") are 20mm so if you go with a -12mm then that ould be 32mm. That would be 1.25" outwards. It would definitely make the truck look better and give it an aggressive look. Those tires are a good size for your truck as well.

proudpapa 04-21-2011 08:46 AM

Appreciate the info there, since I am will be going from just a 275 to a 285, will I be losing any mpg's? Also with stock suspension will I have any rubbling issues with the 17x9's and 285's? Sorry for all the questions, first time I've ever looked at buying wheels.

dodgeguy 04-23-2011 07:08 PM

Since you are only going up a little bit in size, it shouldn't mess up your mpgs too much, if at all. It shouldn't mess with the speedo, either.
Since the 17x9s have a -12mm offset, they should stick out far enough that it won't rub on any of the suspension.

bones06 04-25-2011 08:22 AM

I just put on the XD Spy with 295/70/17 Nittos and they are nice wheels. I went with the 17x9 (-12) offset and they work perfect with my fender flares. I lost about 2mpg so far with my wider tires which really sucks, but thats the price you pay sometimes! Here is the link to my thread so you can get an idea on what the spys look like on our trucks.
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=79056&page=2

proudpapa 04-25-2011 09:12 AM

Thanks bones for the pics, got a nice truck there. I think I'll go with the 17x9's I am afraid the 17x8's will still be tucked up under the truck too far, especially where I have the factory flares.

bones06 04-26-2011 09:33 AM

Your welcome bud, and thanks for the compliment! You are going to love the Spys, they clean up easy to.

proudpapa 05-02-2011 04:08 PM

Feel like I am beating a dead horse here. I went to order the 17x9's and I was told not to order them because they would stick out to far and they would rub on stock suspension and even with the adjustable Bisteins set on the highest height. The guy at Tire Discounters said to order the 17x8's. Guess I will have to find me another place to order this setup because they really didnt want to do it because of the fact they think it would rub. I told him that the 17x8's still would be tucked to far in. He said not true that they would come out right even with the factory flares. Is this true or is this guy just filling me full of bs? I really want to get these ordered, the reason I was going with this place is they have the best price on the wheels around town. Sorry again for all the questions, just want to get it right before I spend all this money. Anybody have any pics of 17x8 wheel with 5.21 bs and +18 mm offset? Not doubting your word Bones, just wish I had pic to show this guy proof that the 17x8's wont stick out as far as I want, even with my 285/70's on there.

dodgeguy 05-02-2011 05:09 PM

It's no problem about all the questions; it's a big purchase.
I don't have any pictures, but I can explain a little bit.

Offset is measured by how close the "mounting surface" on the rims is to the actual center of the rim.
0mm offset is dead center; positive offset brings the rim closer to the truck, while negative offset pushes it away from the truck.

The 17x8 wheels have the same offset and backspacing (or close, anyways) as the stock rims, so yes, they would be in about the same spot as the stock rims.
However, since you're putting bigger tires on, that is the opposite of what you what.

With the 17x9s and the -12mm offset, the rims will mount about 32mm (or about 1.25" like Scat said; 25.4mm is 1") farther away from the suspension than stock rims do.
It doesn't matter that the rims are an inch wider since where the rims mount is 1.25" away from where the stock rims mount.
Because of that difference, the new rim will still be .75" farther out from the suspension components than the stock rim or the 17x8 rim. (If I did all my math right)

Unfortunately, the guy you were talking to didn't know what he was talking about.
You can try to go back and explain it to him, or you can talk to someone else at the store.
If that doesn't work, you'll just have to go somewhere else.