DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   What to do when the key fob doesn't work and the alarm goes off? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=80641)

kap64 04-20-2011 08:48 PM

What to do when the key fob doesn't work and the alarm goes off?

Hello all. About once every other week, for some reason, I go out in the morning and the key fob does nothing, no start, unlock, lock, horn, nothing. If I try more than once, the alarm goes off. Dealer says to use the emergency key if this happens. What happens if I use the key is the alarm goes off when I open the door and without the fob, what do I do next? Eventually, the fob comes back to life and I can turn off the alarm and go my merry way after waking the neighbors at 5:30 in the morning. Also, I noticed that sometimes, I go out to get in the truck and it's already unlocked. I might add that when I do get in, the display says "remote start disabled". Any ideas? Any way to disable the alarm? I'd rather have no alarm than one that goes off unexpectedly. Thanks.

pjs1660 04-20-2011 09:00 PM

sounds like the fob has a short or something does the 2nd one work ok?

kap64 04-20-2011 09:19 PM

The second one works, but since this issue is intermitten, I'm not sure if the second one will reproduce the problem. I guess I can switch them for a while. I'm also wondering why my alarm goes off if I use the key to unlock the door.

garner 04-21-2011 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kap64 (Post 506259)
I'm also wondering why my alarm goes off if I use the key to unlock the door.

The alarm is only disarmed when you start the truck or use the key fob to unlock the truck

Cowboy Medic 04-21-2011 06:17 AM

About three times now, I have either tried to use the remote start or to unlock the doors and the alarm starts going off. At that point the only option I have is to use the manual key to unlock the doors and then start the truck to get everything to shut off. I can find no rhyme or reason for this. It for sure is not the panic alarm being pressed by accident. The only thing I have noticed is that it seems to happen when it is raining.

Any ideas??????????????/

Can you just disable the factory alarm system???????????? as so far I am not impressed with it.

Thanks!!!!!

jc4041 04-21-2011 06:41 AM

buddy of mine has a '10....and he was telling me there was a way through the EVIC to adjust the horn and stuff going off with the alarm...I wouldn't know anything about it since my ST doesn't have all the bells and whistles like the cool trucks ;)

littlebugpaint 04-21-2011 09:56 AM

OMG!! This happened to me after a thunderstorm the night before and I was wondering if it had something to do with the lightening that was intense and all around. I was so embarrassed bc it was so early in the morning. I had to use my emergency key to get in and that's when the damn alarm went off. It shut off when I started the truck and then after that everything worked again with the key fob. It it happens again, I'm going to try and use the second key for awhile and see if the pgs1660 is right about there possibly being a short in the fob.

SuthrnRAM 04-21-2011 10:24 AM

Yikes, that sounds like it could be a real inconvience and a good way to piss off ur neighbors quick lol. Hope when I get my new Ram I don't run into this, as I have a parking deck where I live, and would imagine it would echo pretty bad in there haha.

belle 04-21-2011 10:42 AM

I have 5800 miles on my 2011 Ram. The original key fob has started to work only when it wants to. My backup one works fine. The dealer told me to bring both in for reprogramming. I'll let you know what happens.

SuthrnRAM 04-21-2011 10:46 AM

Yeah sounds like the key fob is faulty. Good thing to have a backup one!