DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   problems removing the lower strut bolt on 2006 1500 (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=80659)

breck83 04-20-2011 11:42 PM

problems removing the lower strut bolt on 2006 1500

so i am trying to install a leveling kit and i cant get the lower strut bolt to come out. i can get it to turn but the bushing is stuck to it and is now damaged. i cant find the bushing anywhere! dodge says that i need to replace the whole lower control arm and they want about $500.00 for it! anyone know of any other options?

PEvil 04-21-2011 12:37 PM

I'm not sure where to get the bushing but when I removed my struts, I took the nut off the lower bolt and used an air chisel to push the bolt thru. I just made sure I was centered on the bolt and let her have it.

breck83 04-25-2011 03:42 PM

i will give that i try, thanks

djod1985 05-31-2011 12:04 PM

Did you get it out? I had the same issue this weekend on a 2007. Couldn't get the bolt out of the driver side. Glad I started on that side and not the other or I would have had to take it all apart again and take out the leveling kit. I am looking for a strut bushing kit. Hopefully I can find one...

sullivan 06-01-2011 10:44 PM

Dude, hammer the ****ing bolt out. And get a new strut bushing.

Or get new struts which will have bushings installed already.

justin35 10-06-2011 10:13 PM

same problem on 2006

having the same problem. did you find anything that works? i got both driver side and passenger side so beat to death i barley got the nut to thread back on. need less to say i didnt get my leveling kit on.

waltersgjr 03-05-2012 10:36 PM

I am having the same problem with a 2006. Is there a lower strut bushing available?

LJSRam 03-12-2012 02:59 PM

I have the same problem and I ended up taking the truck to a shop. They did say NAPA has the bushings needed. I don't have the part nunber but i asked him a few times and he said he had one sittiing in the wearhouse if it was needed.

jankinnu 03-15-2012 01:25 AM

I just installed 2.5" lift kit to 2006 4x4 Ram 1500. The lower strut bolts were stuck. I had to go and buy a big hammer, sprayed WD40 and gave the bolts heavy beats. I used long socket that fit at the end of the bolt so I didn't damage the bolt by beating the socket end. I also had impact wrench.

Once bolt start moving a little, I used impact wrench and WD40 until the bolt was spinning easily. After that I kept hitting the bolt back and forth with hammer to get the dirt out. It took a couple of hours but I got the bolts out.

mumptia 04-18-2014 06:19 PM

Just putting a 3" front and 2" rear leveling kit on my 09 1500 as I type.

Back went on really slick. My 15 year old did most of it.

Now I'm on a date with the two lower front struct bolts who are being a primo b__ch. Been at it for about 3 hours now.
Here's what I did
1. Cut the excess thread off the bolt.
2. Sniped the bolt and broke the bushing free.
3. Cut off the head of the bolt
4. Stretched the shackle of the strut wider than the bushing and removed the strut
5. popped the bushed out and pounded the snot out of what was left inside.

Hint: The head side of the bolt has a step on it for about a 1/2" below the head itself. Do your pounding from the thread side because the threads have a slightly smaller OD.

6. Then popped the bushing back in and tomorrow I'll get new lower strut bolts.

Have to get it done asap, I have a wheel alignment appointment tomorrow at 1! lol

Hope this helps avoid a bunch of head scratching.