DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Towing (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   Towing with 2010 1500- brake controller needed? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=80720)

lugnut 04-21-2011 05:34 PM

Towing with 2010 1500- brake controller needed?

Guys, I'm trying to find out more about what I have/need to do some VERY infrequent towing. I have a 2010 1500 with the Hemi and towing- it has a class 3 hitch (I think) and 2 prewired connectors- 6 pin and round 7 pin harness- all factory.

I have a trailer that is about 2000lbs and has electric brakes with the round 7 pin connector.

Can I tow this trailer without using a brake controller? What does the electric brake wire do if there is no controller installed in my RAM? Does it even activate the brakes?

Go easy, I'm trying to do some research and my dealer wasn't super clear when I talked with them. Basically I'm trying to sell a pop up camper but need to tow it to a repair shop first... damn mice damage! Ughh!

Thanks!

HawkFan1 04-21-2011 05:38 PM

I believe w/out the brake controller you won't have have any control over your trailer brakes at all. You can get away w/this for short distances and low speeds but if you have to stop quick it will be difficult.

mamw 04-22-2011 01:00 AM

We had a pop-up and had no problems towing it and we never installed a break receiver..

Stein 01-13-2012 12:30 PM

yes it will be fine. if you pull 2-3 times a year you wouldn't notice anything on the brakes, if you pull pretty frequent it would still be fine, just note that your pad & rotor life will probably be cut in half so you would have to replace those more often. just allow yourself proper stopping distance, and letting the truck slow down on its own versus just using the brakes only. some people may not agree, but I've been pulling a trailer on weekends camping and fourwheeling, some with electric brakes, some without for about 16 yrs and never had an accident knock on wood. Its all about maintaining proper distance, knowing your brakes with, and without a load, and what condition your brakes are in. the brake wire you can plug in, or leave out, but it will not do anything without a booster because thats power supply for the brakes. 1 other tip I've found out over the years is proper ball height, doesn't effect the brakes, but to high or to low will cause it sway all over the place.

snrusnak 01-13-2012 12:38 PM

I'm not sure about if your electric trailer brakes will activate, I doubt they will, but for a 2,000 lb trailer I wouldn't worry about it. You don't need additional brakes if you have 1,500 lb in the bed, so why would you need them with 2,000 lb on a hitch? I've towed heavier loads than that with my truck without issue (just use common sense, don't tailgate, and give yourself room to stop...pay attention). Sure you won't stop as fast as if you had the trailer brakes, but I wouldn't say your braking will be under powered.

t05ks 01-19-2012 09:36 PM

Isn't the 2000# mark the legal requirement for some type of brake system on the trailer? If you need to make a quick stop that extra ton is going to make a difference on how fast you can come to a stop. Even if you don't tailgate you still never know when your going to have to slam on the binders. Some jerkwater pulls out in front of you, a deer, dog etc... Useable trailer brakes could be worth their weight in gold. Plus if your state has a requirement for trailer brakes at a certain trailer weight you should also take that into consideration, it could result in additional fines if you were to be involved in an accident.

snrusnak 01-19-2012 10:15 PM

^true and I agree, but if he doesn't have them he doesn't have them. The ram's brakes are the biggest and best in any full size truck, they are very good and besides, not much difference between 2,000 lb trailer and 1,750 lb in the bed.

cincyram 02-27-2012 10:25 PM

You can put a brake controller on for less than $150. You never know what could happen while driving. Small price to stay safe and keep others around you safe.